Front Sensor Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before I take my 2019 Limited in for my first warranty service, I want to make sure that I don't complain that my front proximity sensors aren't working right if they're actually working like they do on other people's 2018-19 Expeditions. For starters, I measured the distance it takes to get the alert to sound. It is when the bumper is 2' away from a stationary object, and this object must be taller than a curb because they don't 'see' curbs. Also, if a person were to walk right in front of the vehicle with it in 'D,' nothing happens. My other issue is clear cut: even though it is set to 'on,' and the sensitivity set to 'normal,' the collision avoidance system does not function--no light, no alarm, no braking. Oddly the adaptive cruise does 'see' the vehicle ahead and maintains spacing. I'm starting to miss my old XLT pickup with manual everything.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you think there's an issue, id still take it in. 2' sou ds about right, you have to damn near be right on an object at a slow enough speed before itll start beeping. Thats par for the course on any car with front sensors. Does your proximity screen come up at all? Its harder to test the collision alert, for it to come on, the car in front has to be at a drasticically slower speed in front and your foot has to be completely off the brake. At first i didnt think it worked, till the first time it did(and stopped). A good way to test actually, when someone is turning in front of you, speed up. This will "confuse" the sensor and should throw on your alarm.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front proximity sensors only operate under 10 (or maybe even 5) mph.

And as far as the auto braking goes, it works but its hard to test as you almost have to be in an emergency for it to activate. The “accelerate behind someone in front of you turning right” is a great way to get the collision alarm to sound. But I wouldn’t recommend trying to test the auto braking. Although someone on here did rig up a tarp or a sheet in their driveway and tried to drive through it...that worked for them.

OP
OP
Going_Going_Gone

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My son and I were out in the Expedition and, while he was driving, I mentioned that the active collision control didn't seem to be working. He said his 2018 Raptor is constantly reacting/braking when someone changes lanes ahead of him, or slows suddenly, or starts up from a stop and hits their brakes; so he tried some of these scenarios that he said always caused his truck to react and nothing happened. I was afraid he was going to rear-end one car before he hit the brakes himself.

Now my first experiences with these features goes back fourteen years when I worked test-driving Jaguars and Range Rovers and what I experienced way back then (with each of these features) wasn't anywhere remotely close to what's happening with this vehicle...that was back when Ford owned JLR and lots of back and forth "sharing" was going on. Since I drive Fords and keep them for the long term, and because Ford dragged their feet offering these options; this is the first Ford vehicle I've owned that came with adaptive cruise etc.

Getting back to not wanting to gripe about something that is not a problem; I was at the selling dealership to have a part replaced that was scratched upon delivery and I mentioned how the handsfree lift gate wasn't reacting to my foot. The service guy looks under the bumper for the sensor then stands up and kicks in and out one time and the lift gate opens. So feeling like a fool, I'm standing there and I can't get it to close w/o kicking like eight or ten times. With that in mind, I don't want to come across as the old guy who cries "wolf."

zarga

Reaction score
I want to make sure that I don't complain that my front proximity sensors aren't working right if they're actually working like they do on other people's 2018-19 Expeditions.

Yours sound like they are working like mine, but IMHO, that doesn't mean they are working right. My previous car beeped when anything was in front of a sensor, including a person or animal. I have never experienced that with this car and I am terrified of not seeing a small child or animal. I drive like an old lady in parking lots/schools/chuch/etc; little kids can move so fast.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My son and I were out in the Expedition and, while he was driving, I mentioned that the active collision control didn't seem to be working. He said his 2018 Raptor is constantly reacting/braking when someone changes lanes ahead of him, or slows suddenly, or starts up from a stop and hits their brakes; so he tried some of these scenarios that he said always caused his truck to react and nothing happened. I was afraid he was going to rear-end one car before he hit the brakes himself.

Now my first experiences with these features goes back fourteen years when I worked test-driving Jaguars and Range Rovers and what I experienced way back then (with each of these features) wasn't anywhere remotely close to what's happening with this vehicle...that was back when Ford owned JLR and lots of back and forth "sharing" was going on. Since I drive Fords and keep them for the long term, and because Ford dragged their feet offering these options; this is the first Ford vehicle I've owned that came with adaptive cruise etc.

Getting back to not wanting to gripe about something that is not a problem; I was at the selling dealership to have a part replaced that was scratched upon delivery and I mentioned how the handsfree lift gate wasn't reacting to my foot. The service guy looks under the bumper for the sensor then stands up and kicks in and out one time and the lift gate opens. So feeling like a fool, I'm standing there and I can't get it to close w/o kicking like eight or ten times. With that in mind, I don't want to come across as the old guy who cries "wolf."

I know it goes without saying, but you have it turned on, right?
586038fc1cf53a84c33d3dcf648e1dc8.jpg

jwas1

Reaction score
2018 XLT. Alert mainly goes off when a car in front of me is turning. Has gone off when I came up on a car in front of me too quickly. Manual says it will not stop itself, but does apply extra braking pressure. Strange, since as others have said, adaptive cruise control will stop the car. I have had deer cross in front of me twice, and it did not go off. I believe brake lights do not come on when cruise control slows the car since it uses engine braking. Could be a problem with a car behind you not knowing you are suddenly slowing.

OP
OP
Going_Going_Gone

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, and sensitivity was set to "normal" so I'll try to re-set it to "high" and see if that makes any difference. FWIW, every possible feature was activated when we took delivery...auto high beams and all.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Manual says it will not stop itself, but does apply extra braking pressure.
The vehicle will absolutely stop itself in an emergency; mine has and it 100% prevented me from rear-ending someone. It does offer brake support as step two of its "save your ass protocol"...step three is active braking.

From the manual:

If your vehicle is rapidly approaching another stationary vehicle, a vehicle traveling in the same direction as yours, or a pedestrian within your driving path, the system is designed to provide three levels of functionality:

1. Alert
  1. Brake Support
  1. Active Braking
Alert: When active, a flashing visual warning appears and an audible warning tone sounds.
Brake Support: The system is designed to help reduce the impact speed by preparing the brakes for rapid braking. Brake support does not automatically apply the brakes. If you press the brake pedal, the system could apply additional braking up to maximum braking force, even if you lightly press the brake pedal.
Active Braking: Active braking may activate if the system determines that a collision is imminent. The system may help the driver reduce impact damage or avoid the crash completely.

I guess if you had passed out maybe it wouldn't bring itself to a complete stop in an emergency, but as someone who's experienced it, when the vehicle automatically clamps down on all four brakes, it is loud as hell (think: the grinding you hear when the adaptive cruise control is on, but turned up to 11) and alarm bells go off and lights flash all over the place. Point being, it absolutely slams on the brakes for you and maybe it will only take you down to single digit mph's, but you'll be very awake to handle the last few.