fuel pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krakoosh

Reaction score
I have an '03 5.4. I had to repair the relay in the fuse box but before that the pump was replaced, bad job of troubleshooting for sure. I now have a lean condition and mechanic says he's only getting 38lbs at the rail. The pump has been in since January working just fine. Problems started about 1 month ago with a slight miss that felt like the transmission slipping. It started to take a hair longer to fire up and finally threw PO171 and PO174. Replaced PVC hose assembly. It now takes considerably longer to fire up with PO171 coming back which is why I took it in for a look. He's saying bad pump. Has anyone ever had to replace the pressure regulator? Is that part a works or it doesn't item? I didn't check the pressure after new pump was installed so I can't say what it was at the rail then.
Just wondering if anyone has some idea where to go from here.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good time to invoke the KISS method of trouble shooting. Verify fuel pressure is within spec first.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could check the fuel pressure regulator by attaching a hand vacuum pump to the vacuum port of the regulator. Or you could pull out the vacuum hose, wait a few mins. and watch if fuel comes out of the vacuum port which will indicate a leaky diaphragm. Also try cleaning the MAF semsor. It could also cause a lean condition.

OP
OP
K

krakoosh

Reaction score
Good time to invoke the KISS method of trouble shooting. Verify fuel pressure is within spec first.

He said he wasn't getting 55 but I need to see him Monday morning as I couldn't get there before he closed. I may go borrow a tester tomorrow and see what I get.