Fuel Tank Capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everything I've read says that these trucks come with a 28 gallon capacity tank.

I don't like taking my truck too close to empty, I've had bad experiences in the past. It's probably just superstition, but to each his own. Every time the gauge gets close to E I go for a fill up and I top it off with 17.5-18 gallons. This truck is an unknown, I bought it off a guy on Craigslist. He said it was always dealer serviced, though he had no records. When I pulled the plugs, they did have anti-seize on them and none broke. Everything underneath is clean as a whistle and the tank appears bone stock. I replaced the filter a couple weeks ago and it was a Ford part. Original? I hope not.

My only thought would be that someone installed a fuel pump at some point, which is odd because they hardly go bad, its usually the module that corrodes. Maybe during the install they bent the float arm, if this one even has a float arm?

Anyone have any ideas?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah your right 2003-2006 show 28 gallons. If your only getting back in 19 gallons max, and your crowding empty, sounds like your sending unit needs to be replaced. We have a couple other members that have failing units, giving false readings 2003-04. It's a big job, why drop the tank? Better to fill up at 1/4 to 1/2 tank anyway. I fill mine that way, usually at a little below half, or 120 miles. Mine is first edition with 30 gallon tank. What year is yours, you didn't post.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is a 2005. I don't mind filling it when I do, I just find it odd that it reads full when I top it off, but reads empty and only takes in 18 gallons.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other possibility is your Evap solenoid is keeping you from filling all the way. That or one of the Evap hoses is broken/cracked. We have a few here that was the issue. Do you go to the same gas station? Maybe fill it at another place.

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
Same issue here, with our 06 Limited, when the idiot light comes on for low fuel, no matter where we fill up it takes about 18-20 gallons to top it off. The wife is convinced it has a 20 gallon tank. I let her think that for a good reason.

The wife is notorious for trying to run a vehicle until it's on fumes. This way I know there is still a decent amount of gas in the tank, when she gases it up.

God only knows how many times I've jumped in the Jeeps and had to idle to a gas station cause they were on fumes. Both Jeeps by the time the idiot light came on, you were walking.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The gauge should be on empty with a reserve of about five gallons, which equates to some fifty miles. SO when my truck is on empty it takes maybe 21 to 23 gallons.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Sarge have your wife watch Mom, with Anna Farris. She refers to it as riding the 0. Her best was 8 days, refers to it as the same as Hanukkah. Funny show. You remind me of that episode. Growing up poor, I never let my tank go below 1/4 ever these days. I start to get the heebie jeebies when I do.

OP
OP
J

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wife took it to the gas light and put in 22gal. I guess the gauge is just funky. This summer I'm planning to carry a 5 gal can with me and push my luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last time I got back from a trip where I towed, I noticed my distance to E and gas gauge was off. I was getting between 7-9 mpg's towing so I think the computer was predicting the same mileage. I topped off and reset mpg and everything went back to normal. Anyhow, when I get DTE of 50 miles, it usually takes between 18-20 gallons. Guess they figured 8 gallons is a good reserve.

OP
OP
J

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took it to 21 gallons over the weekend but didnt have the light yet. I did manage 340 miles on that tank which comes out to 18.6 mpg!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk