Gained 1+ mpg City and almost 2+ mpg highway.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Avee8tor

Reaction score
I know this may not seem much but for a vehicle that used to get only 17 it soon adds up. Also finding better driving experience.

Replaced the stock air filter with a K&N and now always drive in Sport mode BUT select 2H not 4A which it defaults to. Yes it won't change to 10th gear below 60-65 and has a higher cruise RPM but doesn't Labor when more power needed like an incline, standard will add boost and not change down.

2023 with SPP / HD tow etc.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change to percentages, and your "may not seem much" is completely wrong! A 5.9% city and 11.8% highway improvement is significant! Kudos, and good job!

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When Ford says you should be getting about 17mpg city, does that include with only auto stop/start ON always?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate your efforts and info. Although I don't buy into the k$n filter playing a role in an mpg increase.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally , a higher flowing air filter only would increase the fuel ratio in an engine creating more HP but at the same time decreasing fuel economy a bit as well.

Thats atleast my understanding.

I run a K&N in my mustang and a AEM dry flow in the expy and Mileage is the same if not worse , especially in the mustang lol

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally , a higher flowing air filter only would increase the fuel ratio in an engine creating more HP but at the same time decreasing fuel economy a bit as well.

Thats atleast my understanding.

the Oxygen sensors completely eliminate any such changes, they ensure the fuel air mixture is correct under all running conditions.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back in the day I use to play with Corvettes and other high performance cars. I learned this. There are engineers employed by the auto industry who are charged with draging every last horsepower out of an engine. Some here will remember the horsepower wars between the auto makers. I am not aware of one that used a K&N. That sorta tells me that some of the HP and mileage claims are just that, claims.
That wooshing noise you here isn't horsepower, it is your money being sucked out of your wallet.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran k&N's right on the carbs on my banshee and they absolutely were better at flowing air, they absolutely let sand and dust through too but it was worth it to be the fastest up the hill ;) We were putting top ends in pretty regularly though...but that may or may not have had anything to do with the k&N's.

All the other sand toys got oiled foam filters.

I thought someone a while back talked about running in tow mode and getting better mileage too.