Gained 1+ mpg City and almost 2+ mpg highway.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4wd, I had a 18’ limited 2wd before this one and it got around 15mpg city. I will say that when on the highway and kept around 70 it gets around 24 mpg but it likes 80 much better . We don’t take a lot of highway trips its all pretty much stop and go short trips that are to blame. A tank does last about a month so no complaints on MPG just amazed at your 21 mpg and yes engaging those turbos to hear the whistle up to 25-30 mph is a learned art that costs mpg.
I was surprised as well. On my trip to Atlanta in July, I reset the mpg as soon as I got on I75. With 2 occupants and some luggage I got 28.2mpg pure highway driving at 65 to 75mph, with a couple traffic slowdowns. I have gotten as low as 18mpg local, in my Expedition. But that was a lot of stop and go and idling in neighborhood streets.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was surprised as well. On my trip to Atlanta in July, I reset the mpg as soon as I got on I75. With 2 occupants and some luggage I got 28.2mpg pure highway driving at 65 to 75mph, with a couple traffic slowdowns. I have gotten as low as 18mpg local, in my Expedition. But that was a lot of stop and go and idling in neighborhood streets.
28mpg on the highway? Thats at the top of the bar... Id be lucky to get 24mpg light on the throttle no occupants and steady 65 mph..Im starting to think your expy somehow also had a electric motor also installed by accident at the plant. Must be a hybrid because your fuel efficiency is amazing.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
28mpg on the highway? Thats at the top of the bar... Id be lucky to get 24mpg light on the throttle no occupants and steady 65 mph..Im starting to think your expy somehow also had a electric motor also installed by accident at the plant. Must be a hybrid because your fuel efficiency is amazing.
No electric motor installed. And I wouldn't even know where to look. I did forget to mention that I was in ECO mode the whole highway trip, as it does make a difference.
It's a Certified pre-owned 1 owner 2019 with 68000+ miles on it, 3.5L 400hp EcoBoost engine, 10 speed tranny, 3.73 rear end, heavy duty tow, no mods, well maintained, all service records from Ford. I haven't had a tune-up yet.
I'm not sure why it gets that good. But my son has a 2021 Ford F150 extended cab with the same motor and tranny, and he gets very similar mileage as well. I'm actually surprised it does so well. But I take off normal, hardly ever seeing the boost dial go up, always use cruise control and take foot off gas when I see red lights ahead. I use the specified octane, usually from WaWa. Once in a while I step hard on the gas, but most of the time drive it like a luxury car.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No electric motor installed. And I wouldn't even know where to look. I did forget to mention that I was in ECO mode the whole highway trip, as it does make a difference.
It's a Certified pre-owned 1 owner 2019 with 68000+ miles on it, 3.5L 400hp EcoBoost engine, 10 speed tranny, 3.73 rear end, heavy duty tow, no mods, well maintained, all service records from Ford. I haven't had a tune-up yet.
I'm not sure why it gets that good. But my son has a 2021 Ford F150 extended cab with the same motor and tranny, and he gets very similar mileage as well. I'm actually surprised it does so well. But I take off normal, hardly ever seeing the boost dial go up, always use cruise control and take foot off gas when I see red lights ahead. I use the specified octane, usually from WaWa. Once in a while I step hard on the gas, but most of the time drive it like a luxury car.
Ooooo ok. I thought u were in sport mode on the highway as well. But still, 28 in eco is impressive

I too have a 2019 Expy (non max) Stealth 3.73 rear HD Tow package on 22's. With every option included. 65,500 miles. I dont drive it hard and drive it same as your description. Im planning on getting my spark plugs changed late this month. Just because I dont want to wait over 120,000 miles to chamge them as the "recommended" change interval says. Maybe the new plus will help with fuel efficiency. I bought the suv used at 56,800 miles back in SEP 2022 and had to have the cam phasers replaced a month into owning it lol figures. It had a ticking noise after the engine was warmed up consistant in rhythm with engine rpms and the cam phasers replacement made the noise go away. I didnt have that rattle at startup though. Although both my turbo wastegate linkage rattle like crazy

Last edited:

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Econo mode easily bumps my average around town kid shuttling a solid 2mpg average over normal mode. Simply by dropping throttle sensitivity and maximizing start stop use at lights etc.

Tires!! On these rigs can have a huge impact on mileage a set of heavy BFG KO’s can easily be a 4mpg hit over the stock oem high efficiency highway tires. The hybrid BFG Trail Terrain I went with specifically to give SUV owners a efficient but capable tire have been about a 1mpg hit to highway mileage but no noticeable impact on lower speed mileage.

Driving style easily can be a 5+% impact on mileage all us married guys know that. Wife has always got considerably worse mileage in the same car, same family trips on the same road vs me driving the same vehicle on the same trip.

O2 sensors and air flow sensors and modern cold air intakes and inter coolers all make any sort of air filter change kinda null and void unless your using a plugged filter vs a functional filter.

My 19 platinum heavy tow 3.73 with 3peak BFG trail Terrains does solid 23mpg average 600 mile highway trips at 73ish mph. With OEM tires same trip was 25mpg average. At 65mph not possible on that same route due to the 70mph posted limit and traffic speeds ie different trip at 65mph I’ve seen 26-27mph tank averages with the junk oem tires. The 3peak BFGs 25mpg has been the best actual tank average. I’m sure if I could get a tail wind on a trip 27mph is a possibility.

All stock other than the tires.

Last edited:

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2mpg drop after changing from the OEM Hankook tires (ironically, a different model, taller sidewall AT LT D rated Hankook tire). However, braking is better, wet grip is much better, light snow is better. They are 3-Peak also. Down side is slightly noisier.

While I do get better mileage in ECO mode, you can get similar in normal mode by beating easy on the throttle. Eco dampens the throttle mapping, and changes gears sooner (keeps revs lower, and probably aims to keep out of boost).

As such, I’d say tires are the only material change that is likely to increase mileage outside of a tune.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My tires are 22" Michelin Defenders. They came new when I purchased the vehicle about 2000 miles ago. I do use ECO mode on the highway for long trips. But around town I'm always in Normal mode, unless I get bored and switch to Sport mode, which admittedly I love. But I do see an MPG drop, not by much but there. I will say most of my local driving are on local main roads with far apart stop lights with good timing. So, I can go a few miles before stopping for a light. I do NOT use start stop mode, as my Son In Law mechanic claims he changes many starters on vehicles with that feature plus I don't like the fact that the interior heat builds up fast on hot days.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
where I live is VERY congested traffic and stop signs/red lights alost every quarter mile at minimum. (Think Boston/new york city traffic) I also never use the auto stop/start feature. Alot of stop and go. I get about 12-13mpg in this

Wnomis

Reaction score
where I live is VERY congested traffic and stop signs/red lights alost every quarter mile at minimum. (Think Boston/new york city traffic) I also never use the auto stop/start feature. Alot of stop and go. I get about 12-13mpg in this
Yay! Someone else with great gas mileage like me!!!!! :) I was beginning to think it was just me.

blkZ28spt

Reaction score
How closely were you drafting the semi ahead of you?