Gasoline smell, loss of fuel parked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not much help now, but I recently had to change my fuel pump and broke one of the plastic lock tabs. Not the small ones on the fuel filter (which I found on the shelf at autozone in the help! stuff, and also found out that new filters come with these in the box) but I broke the larger ones that connect on top off the fuel tank. They're the same idea of a locking tab to hold the fitting in place. I couldn't source new ones and thought I was pretty screwed. But I found small zip ties worked in place of the clip. Might make it difficult to remove later, but the zip ties at least hold the line in place nice and tight! I just looped the zip tie through the channel where that clip would pop into place.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 07-08 owners, if you ever smell gas, check into the fuel filter. Mine cracked right at the joint here:
83BDB670-FF22-44E6-82F8-FCC961F235F7.jpeg

Icemanjones

Reaction score
Mine was changed out when my transmission went bad (not related I know). After trans replaced it still wasnt running right so they replaced filter. Turns out the pump had failed but hey filters are cheap. One less 07 problem.

Rexpedition

Reaction score
I say the gasket inside the filter went bad. You need a new fuel filter and, if available, those plastic tabs that secure it in place.

Update *FIXED AGAIN* lol, let’s hope it stays that way with 2 new plastic locking tabs. I feel so stupid right now. Anyway ALWAYS double check the condition of your fuel line plastic lock tabs...

Hate to say he told you so :lol:

Thanks for sharing so openly - I'm thinking of changing clips now just in case.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, tow bill wasn’t too bad for a flatbed recovery on the highway, only $112. Was a nice new Ford Ford flatbed. I’m not complaining with no AAA that’s perfect.