Gear Mesh Noise - 2014 Expedition Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
An update on this issue. Took the vehicle and left it overnight at the dealer. They waited for me to come back the next day so the vehicle would be stone cold and I could show the tech the noise. After four seconds at startup it made the noise. We went in and the tech looked up applicable TSBs. Found one that was close (had to do with shifting into park and drive). The TSB was for trans build dates up to 15 days before mine was built. (called for the valve body or separator plate to be replaced). The tech emailed Ford and they advised him to replace the valve body and a trans temp sensor. Thought they may be vibrating on engine start up. If that doesn't work them some work on the trans front pump may be needed. (pull the trans out and do the work). May get it back tomorrow if the valve body is available and works. Will update once we get it back.

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
Well the noise is back. Started it cold three times and it occurred each time. Called the shop manager and he said the next step is to pull the trans and do the front pump work. Will arrange another visit next week and see how that works. Will provide an update once back from the shop. Good thing this is all under warranty!

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If he followed the TSB he would have done the front pump. That is the TSB I mentioned earlier. Sounds like another crappy dealer service department backed up by crappy ford service.

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
Well here is the latest. Dropped the vehicle off Monday for the front pump work (TSB). Dealer called mid-week and said torque conveyor didn't fit into the pump. After consultation with the parts center they had sent the wrong pump(?). Today (Friday) we hear the trans tech had a major medical problem and it delayed the work. Shop foreman performed the work and the grinding noise at start up isn't there. BUT, at 40 - 50 mph now there is a whine that it didn't have before. Believes the torque converter is the problem. They ordered one and it is suppose to be in on Monday. They will pull the trans again and replace the torque convertor. The folks are really nice and we believe they are trying to remedy the problem. However, we have researched the Lemon Law for new car purchases in our state and we are at the point of possibly beginning the initial process... depending on the outcome on Monday. More to come...

Last edited:

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well here is the latest. Dropped the vehicle off Monday for the front pump work (TSB). Dealer called mid-week and said torque conveyor didn't fit into the pump. After consultation with the parts center they had sent the wrong pump(?). Today (Friday) we hear the trans tech had a major medical problem and it delayed the work. Shop foreman performed the work and the grinding noise at start up isn't there. BUT, at 40 - 50 mph now there is a whine that it didn't have before. Believes the torque converter is the problem. They ordered one and it is suppose to be in on Monday. They will pull the trans again and replace the torque convertor. The folks are really nice and we believe they are trying to remedy the problem. However, we have researched the Lemon Law for new car purchases in our state and we are at the point of possibly beginning the initial process... depending on the outcome on Monday. More to come...

If you're in Maryland (MD?) the Lemon Law stipulates that it applies to vehicles less than 2 years old that have been driven less than 18K miles. I would go that route.

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
Well...got the vehicle back today from the dealer. They replaced the valve body, front pump, temp sensor, and torque converter. Drove it home and it sounds okay. Will test (start up) again the next few mornings to see if the original grinding noise reappears. Glad all the work was covered under warranty, but not glad they had to open up the trans several times. Also, it's still within the lemon law period and understand our rights. The service rep and shop foreman were nice along the way. It's just left a bad experience with our ownership of this Ford!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear things are getting better. Keep in mind it just isn't Ford, all the OEM's are going to have issues as the vehicles get more complicated. The days of the TH350 /400 simplicity are long gone - everything is computer controlled now.

Matt63

Reaction score
Oh no...Just heard the noise for the 2nd time this morning (Cold). 14 Limited with 22k... I just know this is gonna be a royal headache with the Dealership.

BTW - Happy Holidays everyone.

ssmock

Reaction score
I too have this issue with my 2014 limited with 26k miles. Just got this used in Oct this year. Vehicle originally in service July 2014 so still under warranty so that's good. Any additional info on a service bulletin? Seems like a problem with this year.

OP
OP
M

MDSavage

Reaction score
A separate poster mentioned a TSB pertaining to a front pump issue. The trans tech (who also is the shop Forman at my dealer) that is working on our 2014 Limited followed direction from "Ford Service" he said. Seems to be a straight forward person so I believe him. Been starting it in the morning after setting overnight in a level position...this is when it made the noise. Been testing it every day since picking it up from the repair last. With all the work they did to it wouldn't you know... it made the same damn noise this morning. Start the engine and 4 seconds later it makes the grinding noise. If it happens again I will be meeting with the service manager and shop foreman to discuss what they will do BEFORE we take the Lemon Law steps. It will be trip number FOUR trying to get the problem fixed. Fortunately, we are still within the Lemon Law dates and mileage for our state.