Gear selector spinning freely?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodacious

Reaction score
My new to me ‘18 Limited 2WD did something strange yesterday. I went to exit the drivers seat with transmission still in “D” (vehicle still on and key inside). While still in the seat but door open, I reached over to switch to “P” and the selector spun freely back and forth like it had lost the detents!! I immediately shut the door, still in drivers seat, to focus on the issue, and discovered it was now back to the original feel with detents between the gears. Has anyone else experienced this? I did a short search but did not find anything.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does all kinds of stupid BS when the door is open. I popped my door open once at like 5-10 mph to test something and it slammed the car into park and tried to shear off the park lock pin. So stupid...... I almost got killed because it stopped me in an intersection and luckily there was no cars coming because I was now in park and couldn't move.

OP
OP
Bodacious

Bodacious

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I figured it was some kind of “feature” since it immediately quit and has not happened again. Sometimes these things make very little sense.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s my issue with the safety park feature, the parking pin is not made for this kind of stress and can shear right off causing a dangerous situation. The truck will start to roll and only parking brake will allow you to shut it down and stop it from rolling.....how many newer drivers know how to use a parking brake lol.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does all kinds of stupid BS when the door is open. I popped my door open once at like 5-10 mph to test something and it slammed the car into park and tried to shear off the park lock pin. So stupid...... I almost got killed because it stopped me in an intersection and luckily there was no cars coming because I was now in park and couldn't move.

I’ll bite - what were you testing?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last week when my wife was picking up the kids from school, the woman behind my wife got out of her car with it still in gear. It started to slowly drive forward. Luckily, the teacher pulled the kid out of the way and the car ended up running into a bush. It could have been a lot worse.
The feature in the expedition would have prevented the situation.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last week when my wife was picking up the kids from school, the woman behind my wife got out of her car with it still in gear. It started to slowly drive forward. Luckily, the teacher pulled the kid out of the way and the car ended up running into a bush. It could have been a lot worse.
The feature in the expedition would have prevented the situation.

I'll take my chances, but I agree people are stupid and Its probably better for "them".

Vincenzo

Reaction score
The fake engine noises that the speakers pump into the cabin are supposed to Stop when the doors open.....Kinda hard to test it in park lol

I don’t think they pump in fake engine noises. If you’re talking the Platinum then I believe you’re referring to Enhanced Active Noise Control. Just like noise canceling headsets, the speakers pump out the opposing sound waves to cancel out the sound. It’s called phase cancellation.

https://newatlas.com/ford-active-noise-control/40391/

So I’m pretty sure that opening your door while you’re moving will not allow you to hear any difference as you are moving too slowly and the sound from the outside increases dramatically as soon as you open the door.