going for tail light mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retrogarage6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
I've seen some discussions on the 3rd gen lamps.... no pictures that I can find besides one guy with the IPCW's, but the consensus seems to be that 3rd gen lights fit 2nd gen, just reverse the sockets and modify reverse(?) socket to fit into housing.

So since I hate those cheesy ricer LED lamps.. I wanted a nice factory mod to make someone say "hey, where did he get those?", only to discover that it is a one of a kind.

So what i'm planning to do is purchase a set of aftermarket 2007+ tail lamps, between $75 and $100. I'll try and get the DEPO brand made in taiwan which are actually really nice and as close to OEM as you can really get without going OEM, and I used DEPO lamps for my mercedes benz and they are excellent quality compared to anything else.

Next I may get these plastic covers and plastidip them gunmetal matte to match the door moldings and front and rear bumpers which i've already done.

Should look pretty different and new without ricing out...

But I really want lamp guards so I may get some westin lamp light guards and dip those instead, that I'm undecided on.

Anyone know of any pics out there for this mod?

Attachments

• TL2.jpg
    TL2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 68
  • TL.jpg
    TL.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 56

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the Aires tailight guards for my truck and aside from having to alter them to install them on my truck... lol... they were worth the money?

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am also on the fence about doing the 07 tail light mod myself. I really wanted to at first but I must admit the stock lights have grown on me some. Everything I have read leads me to believe it would be a very easy swap.

OP
OP
retrogarage6

retrogarage6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
haha yea i was thinking about painting the stockies black kinda like the 07 explorer, just using the lines in the plastic and masking it off leaving a pattern in the lens... but hey CMAN you could always swap back and forth depending on your mood!

Last edited:

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
haha yea i was thinking about painting the stockies black kinda like the 07 explorer, just using the lines in the plastic and masking it off leaving a pattern in the lens... but hey CMAN you could always swap back and forth depending on your mood!
Haha you do got a good point there my friend! Maybe I'll be more inclined to get a pair if I see 2nd gen with them first ;)

OP
OP
retrogarage6

retrogarage6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
after i get my brakes and shocks done and the roof basket i'm going to be focusing on the cosmetics again so i'll post some pics. I'll do it just to do it lol.. plus there is like 3 other expys in my hood that are silver and mine is the freshest but u know... why stop there

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what did you have to do to get them on?

I could REALLY explain it with pictures and the whole shebang but it was really simple... Aires makes them with a clip that fits around the side of the taillight against the bodyside of the truck... That little clip does not fit when you go to reinstall the taillights and they can't be screwed back on so I basically just broke that little holder piece right off and they fit fine with no rattle and only wiggle when the hatch is slammed if you're really interested to see how I did it I could add the link where I bought them and add some pics of the piece that need to be removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk