Gotts Mod vs. Hot Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a pic at the moment, so I apologize off the bat.

I created my own hot air intake (if that term makes sense) that is essentially a drop in K&N performance filter, and i cut up the factory housing (retained mine, bought one to cut up from the scrap yard) to make it higher flow.

I switch this out for the Gotts Mod original one when I go mudding, as to not such mud into my filter, but I haven't been able to do a road trip yet with either of them on, and it's not really feasible for me to.

I'm preparing to go on a long road trip (several hundred miles) and I'm wondering if either would be noticeably better for mileage. Has anyone done this comparison before, or does anyone have enough mechanical knowledge to tell me which one would be better. It may be obvious to someone, but not to me :shrug:

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did exactly what you did, the best intake for a truck like this is a k&n air filter, the gotts mod, and to either replace the bulkey air tube for somthing smooth with minimal restrictions or dremel out the intake silencer from the stock tube!

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the gotts mod is about as good as it gets for a stock vehicle. you still get the cool air less restriction and protection from water injestion [same as stock]. any mod to the way the air flows through the air filter will have an effect on the MAF readings. I have seen cheap filters cause check eng lights several times on these motors deu to the shape of the cone on the end of the filter.

OP
OP
IAExpy

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so.........

maybe my first post wasn't clear, but i wasn't looking for advice on cold air intake purchases. i did a little testing, and here's what i found.

my hot air intake (described in first post) going 55mph for 25 miles got me 16.2 mpg
my gotts mod, traveling the same stretch of road but reverse, got me 17.8 mpg

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
question IA was the road a flat road or equal uphill downhill scenarios? meaning did both setups get an equal shot. just curious.

OP
OP
IAExpy

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i took I380 from downtown Cedar Rapids, IA south to HWY 30 and then turned around and went back north. I had driven about 20 minutes around the city, so I believe the engine was plenty warm.

There are only a couple hills to speak of, but I believe it to be a fairly level drive, from beginning to end.

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have built my own and dremeled my mas to be able to clamp a high flow cone filter directly to it and have had no code issues. has served pretty well, i made it from 4in pvc. i would personaly stay away from any intake made of any type of metal due to their heat transfer capabilities in a hot engine compartment and it lying right over the radiator hoses that it may touch. as far as fender or open, i think it would only matter in stop and go traffic but on the highway i dont think it would make much difference bc of the filter location being right behind the driver headlight, alot of air passes through the openings around it. obviously some sort of shield on the back side of the filter would be of some benefit. All IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2