New Sequoia vs 22+ Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wheel base length vs 9500lbs .

The heavy tow Expedition is 9200 with a longer wheel base. And 9200lbs is not very enjoyable to drag with a 1/2 ton truck regardless

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whatever Toyota's reason for the live axle and not having a fold flat 2nd and 3rd row, it was very stupid. I had a 2008 Sequoia and it was a great vehicle in 2008. Toyota did not redesign the model in far too long and then made a really stupid mistake and step backwards in the redesign.

My guess is the reason for the high level of the folded 2nd and 3rd row is the live axle combined with the need of places for the hybrid batteries.

I have seen a Sequoia at an auto show and it was very disappointing, I have only seen 1 redesigned Sequoia on the road. My guess is that this design mistake will cut Sequoia sales in half of what they would have been (sales of the prior model were poor because they were so dated, so that is not a good comparison).

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Toyota Sequoia is not a real competitor to the Ford Expedition and GM full size SUVs. They may be able to alleviate the flaws with an extended wheelbase model and non-hybrid powertrain.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Toyota Sequoia is not a real competitor to the Ford Expedition and GM full size SUVs. They may be able to alleviate the flaws with an extended wheelbase model and non-hybrid powertrain.

The Toyota however is the same size, their wheelbase are all within inches of eachother, havr the same mission and are benchmarked against one another. Toyota doesn't have a long wheelbase model, but the regular model has and always used the expedition as a base from conception back In 2000.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Arrogance may have played into Toyota decision. No doubt they are kings with certain cars and the 4Runner has been a top contender since the dawn of time.
But one is for the budget friendly owner who wants to long lasting no nonsense car, and the other is for the pseudo world explorer owners who want the basics and reliability.
SUV owners want a luxury car and a pickup truck in one. I think Toyota has not grasped that concept yet.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Toyota however is the same size, their wheelbase are all within inches of eachother, havr the same mission and are benchmarked against one another. Toyota doesn't have a long wheelbase model, but the regular model has and always used the expedition as a base from conception back In 2000.
If you see the Sequoia, current 4runner and Highlander all parked side by side they are all nearly the same size give or take an inch here or there.

I had a 07 Sequoia flat load floor true 8 seater small 3 in 3rd row but possible. Utility wise it was very useful. 2019 I looked at everything and thought about waiting for the new Sequoia. I saw early pictures and numbers and said nope and picked up a new loaded Platinum Expedition for less than an optioned up Limited. It’s been absolutely perfect combination of utility and people hauling capability. The new Sequoia would have been s huge disappointment over my 07 Sequoia vs the Expedition has been better. I brought home sheets of plywood with it, Sequoia cant do that, we have hauled many 8 passenger real people in the Expedition new Sequoia is a fail for that. Expedition is a solid 2mpg less average than my Daily Driver 2010 Subaru OB it also replaced. The Expedition literally replaced 2 vehicles and has done it with nothing but pluses from us. The New Sequoia misses so many little things that the Expedition just nailed with a 10/10 for us. I like Toyota had 27yrs of them 4runner, Land Cruiser and Sequoia. They were all ok but definitely not efficient or powerful vehicles cost to own was mehh they weren’t flawless of with out issues. They were expensive to fix when fixes were needed.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who would have thought 20 years ago that a Ford would be receiving almost unanimous praise on a forum for its premium feel?