Had my truck rust treated today (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bullbeep You can still see the drips, it was just sprayed. You expect people to believe, you spent money to undercoat a 20yr old 300K truck, you traded in a month later? No dealer would take something that old or high mileage, as a trade. If they did, it was scrap price. I doubt you "give away" a car, in almost new condition. I have 2001 Lincoln, that spent most of its life in Florida. The underside looks almost brand new. Did this 300K Toyota, get driven in winter and salt covered roads or Arizona? Even your bare metal E brake cable has no surface rust. Toyota also factory undercoats. Nice try Krown.

Classy response. Sorry to disappoint but I don’t represent Krown. I’m a full time career musician that has nothing to do with them except I’ve had a great experience with their applications. Yes those pics were taken a week after it was sprayed and shortly before I traded it in. I thought I was going to keep the truck and then we had a little bit of a safety scare with my 2 year old in her car seat with my sound equipment that encouraged us to buy an EL for the extra room behind the third row. I don’t understand how that has anything to do with anything. You can clearly see my Michigan truck is rust free still. Am I really making up trading the truck in..? Call Holiday Ford in Fort Worth where I drove to buy my EL and traded in my LC. Talk to Craig. He will remember me and my preggo wife vividly as we’ve talked on the phone a lot since the transaction. Wait, why am I even saying all of this?

Just got sucked in.... *shaking head lol

Anyway, as to my original post for everyone else who is interested in some level of rust control, I used Krown and have been really happy for the price. I do wonder sometimes if we could just heat up some used motor oil, pour it into a garden sprayer and spray underneath ourselves if that would help. I noticed on my tour bus that there is never any rust around the steel engine frame rails that are always caked in grease and oil but they do rust where there isn’t any caked on.

I’ve heard (no personal experience) that the old rubberized undercoating could actually trap moisture underneath and the rust somehow just continued under and eventually bubbled out. That would be a bummer if that were true. I love any new tech or old methods to keeping my vehicles in good shape while I own them and I utterly detest rust so I’m willing to spend some $$$ to try my best to prevent it. Oh btw, yes my truck was driven in Michigan: 5a500c3da0dc3dcb4bac8657412f653a.jpg505cec6cdae1e1beb27da57eb78ccf69.jpgc24dd7b480dcd0362a204427f09c69f2.jpg7d214fd5db5e7ee208c9d5945bbf3c5b.jpg

And my favorite, my cruiser parked next to my tour bus:
52aace4f0e01effa8d53a56f094cca72.jpg

Oops got sucked in again ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Interesting reading. Traded in at Texas dealer? WTF? I noticed you detest rust. What is up the rust, on front bumper? The other side is hanging off. One picture, looks like no front bumper. You spend money on rustproofing, but drive around with damage? Most people would not. Have you had your Expedition , serviced by Krown? What did dealer give for the trade in?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That pink spot on the front corner in the one photo is a bad bondo job after I gently smacked a tree driving in the snow. It was a plastic bumper so no rust there. The bumper ended up being pulled off while I shopped around for an ARB armored bumper which I installed thereafter. One photo shows my tow bar folded up against the bumper too. I have to flat tow my trucks behind my bus all year so they all have had front tow systems installed. So you are seeing different iterations of factory bumper, factory bumper with tow bar, factory bumper removed, tow bar reinstalled with factory bumper removed. And here’s how it looked when I traded it in (Ford gave me $2500 for it). I know it’s crazy but 100 series Land Cruisers have value even at 300,000 miles. Mine was triple locked with factory electric rear and center diff locks and an aftermarket ARB airlocker I installed on the front diff. 6d645383f565401631c841d097c4701d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And yes I did have the Expedition serviced by Krown. Pictures of that are the very first post at the top of this thread...

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in the Seattle area. Have a '97 Explorer with 175,000...no rust. Also have a '14 Expy...no rust. That said, I would like to know if there's a rust spray service in our area...or what should I be searching for? Thanks!

Allen Miller

Reaction score
One of the Canadian guys on the CRZ forum had an issue with Krown shorting his trunk latch button, which is the same type of switch used for the glass...

Taking it apart and cleaning it solved the issue though. Just maybe be careful if they treat your hatch.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ziebart recoated all of the closed cavities and inside the doors and rocker panels. they recoated the sound proofing under the vehicle, washed and clayed the paint and applied the diamond gloss paint protection, and treated the leather seats and trim. It came out looking great. It was a nice treat on it's birthday. Today was the day it came off the assembly line. It's one year old.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice Andy, how much $$ does a yearly treatment like that set you back? The coating inside the the door panels is an oil right? And the actually undercoating is a rubberized type correct?