Has anyone ever done a dual battery set up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would love to do one but I am looking in the engine bay and there is absolutely no room.
I think the alternative would be a 200amp alternator and clean all the connections really well

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Jay, I have done a few dual battery setups in our gen trucks. I will first start off by asking why you think you need a dual battery setup? This will help me figure out what you need and if a dual battery setup is what you even need. This will also help me figure out what batteries you may need.

In the big picture, what you end up doing is removing the factory battery. Then if you look against the firewall, you will see a black canister, that needs to be moved to under the starter solenoid or tucked down a little more (the cables and hoses are long enough). From there, you will be pretty much forced to go with the Optima spiral wound batteries due to their size and you mount them sideways (in relation to how your battery currently is) and they will just fit side by side there on top of a new battery tray that you buy/create. Then you will need some sort of device to keep the two batteries isolated from each other.

But, like I said, depending on why you think you need a dual battery setup, going through all of this may not be necessary due to some old "truck tails" of how to fix things. Power generation and distribution is what I do for a living. I will help get you hooked up with what you truely need.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeepwrangler.com...they have a tray that will hold 2 optima red tops...my next mod for the spring...I'm going to have 2-18'z that are 1500 rms each...plus I have lights and monitors and on the way and will be put in...and i'll hook up a kinetic battery in the rear

FLAWLEZZ RYDERZ VP VA 757 Chapter

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeepwrangler.com...they have a tray that will hold 2 optima red tops...my next mod for the spring...I'm going to have 2-18'z that are 1500 rms each...plus I have lights and monitors and on the way and will be put in...and i'll hook up a kinetic battery in the rear

FLAWLEZZ RYDERZ VP VA 757 Chapter

To be honest redtops are a waste of money, they can still die and bust like a normal one.. But if you are going sound, upgrade your battery to a higher amp/cca upgrade your ALT and get you 2 Caps. thats all you need.. even running a Memphis Mojo wont dim the lights with that setup, ( installed one in a neon 2 days ago )

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Wrangler power products (Web) Has the tray (and entire kit) that I used to put dual red tops in my truck.

It fits perfect with next to no modifications needed.

IMAGE_057.jpg

IMAGE_055.jpg

IMAGE_058.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jay87LX

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jay, I have done a few dual battery setups in our gen trucks. I will first start off by asking why you think you need a dual battery setup? This will help me figure out what you need and if a dual battery setup is what you even need. This will also help me figure out what batteries you may need.

In the big picture, what you end up doing is removing the factory battery. Then if you look against the firewall, you will see a black canister, that needs to be moved to under the starter solenoid or tucked down a little more (the cables and hoses are long enough). From there, you will be pretty much forced to go with the Optima spiral wound batteries due to their size and you mount them sideways (in relation to how your battery currently is) and they will just fit side by side there on top of a new battery tray that you buy/create. Then you will need some sort of device to keep the two batteries isolated from each other.

According to my battery application guide I can fit 2- 34 series batteries side by side- Group 65 batteries which is what our trucks take are rated at 875 CCA and the 34's are rated at 800. Now I would just need tor figure out how to set it up so one battery is indepentdent so if I left the lights on I would be able to switch to that battery and still start the truck

But, like I said, depending on why you think you need a dual battery setup, going through all of this may not be necessary due to some old "truck tails" of how to fix things. Power generation and distribution is what I do for a living. I will help get you hooked up with what you truely need.

I just got a Edge programmer and it seems my Voltage drops to 12V coming out of the alt when I load it up, high beams, both AC fans on high, brake lights etc. As you see in another thread I just got a brush guard and am mounting 2 off road lights. I also will be running a power inverter for my laptop when I am towing my bike and trailer, not to mention the additional lights the trailer has. I also like the fact of additional CCA's. I was hoping to do dual 65's but there is no way to get and additional one in there unless I go sideways. I am a supervisor at AAA and during snow storms having a dead truck or not able to crank over in sub zero temps is not an option. I also run the battery program at our fleet so I want the "cool" factor.
So I was hoping for dual 65's in series to increase CCA's and maintain 12V operation system and a 200 amp alt.

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Jay, first off, you can add 10 batteries to your truck, but while it is running, if your voltage is dropping to 12V, the batteries are not going to fix that issue. Batteries are really only there to provide a means to start the motor and to provide a limited amount of noise filtering. End of story. The only exception to that is if you need power with the motor off. But, I don't hear you really saying that.

So, really, getting a larger battery would serve your needs with getting more CCA (cold cranking amps). What you really need is a larger alternator. Based on what you are saying you have on the truck and what you are looking at running, I would be looking at something in the 200 to 250 amp range and then doing a wiring upgrade to replace the wiring between the alternator and the starter solenoid. I liken this to trying to fill a pool with a garden hose vice a fire hose. The garden hose works, but you have to stress it tons more than the fire hose. The factory alternator wiring barely handles the 130 amp alternator. Will the wire flow the 200 amps, by all means. But, does the term "toaster wire" mean anything to you? The more current you flow through a given wire, the more voltage it is going to drop. Since power loss (aka, heat) is a function of voltage drop times current, going from 130 amps to 200 amps is going to almost quadruple the heat that the wire has to get rid of. What does this mean? I will put it in 2 simple things: 1) imagine a wire hot enough that you can feel the heat coming off of it, or 2) BBQ'ed Ford in extreme conditions. I am not trying to scare you, but Ford did a lot of research to figure out what is the minimum gauge wire they needed to minimize weight in the truck. Going above and beyond what the factory truck requires is pushing things too far. Hell, in some cases what Ford installed is not enough (headlights is a prime example).

You may find simply upgrading your wiring between the alternator and the starter solenoid to say a 2 gauge wire (from the factory 8 gauge wire) will make a big difference.

The other thing that most people do not realize is that while we may have alternators in our trucks that are rated at 130 amps, at idle, they are limited to about 65-70 amps. The current output is a function of the field strength (ie, how much power the alternator is sucking back in) and the speed that the alternator is turning at (ie, function of engine RPM). There reaches a point where the alternator can not suck in any more power to make a stronger field due to the internals saturating. Hence why the output of the alternator drops off. This is why you are seeing the voltage drop to 12 V. When you are seeing the voltage drop to 12V, you are truely running off of the battery which has a finite life to it. A battery only stores just so much energy. Sure, adding a second, third, fourth battery will extend that time, but you are just putting a bandaid on the real problem. Besides, overloading the alternator is significantly shortening its life. How long do you think your truck would last if you only drove it 2 ways, foot flat on the floor for the gas or foot flat on the floor for the brakes? That is what is happening to the alternator.

In your line of work, you want coolness, get yourself a 250 amp alternator and a set of 2 gauge jumper cables. Imagine being able to jump start a truck like ours with a dead battery just by connecting the jumper cables and having the other person turn the key. No waiting, just turn the key and their truck rolls over. I think in your line of work that would be much more impressive than "hey look, I have 2 batteries".

I am not trying to steer you away from what you want. But, I am a function over look kind of person (as nukie reflects). I make sure the truck will do what you want, not just look cool.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
On a side note, if you do upgrade the alternator to something larger, it is advisable to also upgrade the ground wires between the body of the truck and the block of the motor and the block of the motor and the battery. Remember, electrical current flows in a circle. You can think of an alternator as a pump (pushing around electrons). Imagine what a hydraulic pump would do if you had a fire hose on the discharge, but was feeding the pump with a straw. Same thing with the truck. The wire on the output of the alternator is your discharge hose, the ground wires are that straw.

OP
OP
Jay87LX

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome write up Thermo- A few questions
1. If I wanted to get a higher amperaage Alt is there one from Autozone just made for a different Ford? So I can go in and ask for an Alt for a 19** ford blah blah and bolt it up? We have a local electrical motor repair biz that sells 250 amp I believe $269. Kinda pricey

2. One thing I liked about the 2 batteries is the way Wrangler Power explains it on their website is the alt charges both batteries, but isolates one from draining so say the start battery died you can switch over to the 2nd. This is interesting to me for when I am trailering to different bike weeks I can stop and still use accessories without fear of being stranded. Alternative?