Has anyone had a smooth shifting 10 speed? Do they all do the occasional clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
Cant you just get a FORD ESP and have it covered after the factory warranty expires?
Considering it, but our Powertrain Warranty has not expired yet so we might as well use it, right? I'm sure the 5 year/60k mile covers the Tranny TSB? We've learned our lesson with not utilising the Bumper To Bumper 3 year warranty and ending up having to pay out of pocket to fix some small things right after it expired. That said, the ESP would give us a great piece of mind for longer term use!

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
I know what you are talking about I’ve ridden in some that do it. I’ve witnessed it with Dodge rams and Tahoe’s too.

No clunking in mine so far and it’s been smooth.
Wow, I always thought the ZF 8 speeds in the Rams were always the smoothest and they would clunk and jerk too! Do you think this occasional rough shift is normal and I shouldn't bring it in for the TSB? Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
My brand new 2024 expedition xlt 4x4 has rough downshift from 5 to 3 and 4 to 3 since day one. 4A drive mode can mitigate this problem. I also find premium gas can smooth it a little even with Normal/2H mode.
Wow, I thought the 2024 come with the new CDF drum design that shifts 100% smoothly. Are you planning to bring it in anytime soon? You still have years and years of warranty left, unlike my situation!

Just turned 55K on mine. It's always been smooth. Never feel it shift. That being said, on two occasions recently, it seemed hung up in 5th and then it went to 7th. The other day going up a grade, it needed to down shift, and it just wouldn't. I don't know if that's "normal", or the beginning of the end.
Mine shifts smoothly, but I've had three neutral out situations in the year I've owned it. Last one happened in fast moving traffic in Dallas. I dropped it off yesterday hoping they can do the specific TSB for that. Otherwise, never had a clunky shift. Hoping the "Fix" for neutral out doesn't bring a clunky shift.
Please keep us updated, thanks you all!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My brand new 2024 expedition xlt 4x4 has rough downshift from 5 to 3 and 4 to 3 since day one. 4A drive mode can mitigate this problem. I also find premium gas can smooth it a little even with Normal/2H mode.

Wow!

Are you going to take it to a Ford dealer for repair of live with the rough shifts?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, I thought the 2024 come with the new CDF drum design that shifts 100% smoothly. Are you planning to bring it in anytime soon? You still have years and years of warranty left, unlike my situation!

Please keep us updated, thanks you all!

I will bring it in and discuss it with dealership once I do my second oil change. Honestly, I don't think this is a CDF problem. It might be fixed by either a re-learning or a new valve body.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, I always thought the ZF 8 speeds in the Rams were always the smoothest and they would clunk and jerk too! Do you think this occasional rough shift is normal and I shouldn't bring it in for the TSB? Thanks for the reply!

Most are. My Silverado Z71 (8L90) is very smooth. It slips and clunks from time to time.… right when I’ve forgotten.

I wouldn’t be bothered by it. But that’s me. I’ve adjusted my driving style a bit lately too.

skydude

Reaction score
2012, Im the original owner, 200,000 miles on the tranny and its being doing it for years.. I took it to my mechanic years ago and he said dont bother till it breaks..
Sometimes it does it other times not.. it depends how I slow down..

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the vehicle is used or driven by different drivers, the vehicle learns and adjusts parameters. This can cause poor acceleration, rough shifting, and more.
When I purchased my use Expedition Platinum, it was doggy, shifted rough, floated like a boat, steering was loose and more. My Son came over and hooked up his tablet and using Forscan, he reset the PCM. The first thing I noticed was the performance, second shifting, steering and suspension. Now the vehicle is using my driving habits instead of the previous driver's.
With that said, if you have access to Forscan, you can reset your PCM. This will wipe out the memory, reset all the parameters of the model you have. I have read that it's a good idea to perform this occasionally. You can also search how to do it manually or I'm sure the dealership will do it for a fee.