Headers on my 98 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking at putting shorty headers on my 1998 5.4L EB. The pass side manifold is warped, of course, and has busted 2 studs on the head. Instead of putting another piece of junk cast manifold on it I am going to put headers on.

Has anyone else done this and what are some things to look for, tricks or tips.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Those studs are so undersized that you can probably expect to break another 1 or 2 while you're removing them.

Soaking them with PB Blaster for a few days may help.

OP
OP
J

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan on replacing all the studs. What are the best to get and where?? I got the headers from Summit today of Ebay for $190 total. I did not think that was too bad.

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Idk, try calling their tech line. I wana get the shorty headers for mine from LMC trucks once i have the money :)

RHSC

Reaction score
I bought shorty headers from summit last year and they came with new studs. Your's didn't? Maybe cause you bought them off ebay? Call summit directly, the studs should be pretty cheap.
As far as installation, PAIN IN THE ASS! Take the wheel and tire off and the inner fender well, grab yourself at least a 6 pack, and alot of wd40 or liquid wrench, and alot of patience and go for it. Get yourself some metal gaskets for those headers. The paper crap ones they come with are useless. My passenger side gasket blew out about 4-5 weeks after I installed them. I replaced the gaskets with metal ones, and have been all good for about a year with no issues. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got the headers today. That was fast shipping. I bought them on Thursday and got them saturday. They did come with new studs so all is good. I will get the metal gaskets as well.

OP
OP
J

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK I decided to put the headers on this afternoon. I got one side done in 3.5 hrs. I did the worst side first, passenger. The manifold was cracked and 2 studs were already broke. I broke 2 more while trying to get them out. I welded nuts on the studs after removing the manifold. I got them as hot as i could welding and all 4 turned right out. YEAH!!!! The header was not easy to get into place, room is tight. I got all the bolts in and it does not leak now. I think all the studs on the driver's side will turn right out but if not the welding trick works like a charm. Might try to tackle it tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing it with both sides on. I removed the inner fender to have more room to work. You can get to everything from the fenderwell.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So all of your broken studs came out ok? I have a few broken studs and was thinking of headers and replacing the studs, but I don't want to mess up the aluminum heads, and the shop wants a $75 per bolt to fix.

OP
OP
J

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finished up this job tonight. I decided to do the driver's side last night. The first thing I attempted to remove was the EGR tube that goes into the manifold. Snapped off at the slightest attempt to loosen. I called Oreily's and get a new one ordered. I then cut the tube with a die grinder and went after the header bolts. 6 came right out, 1 broke and 1 the nut actually came off the stud cleanly. Decided to reuse that stud and not risk it. I welded the nut on the broken stud and after 6 attempts it came out. I got the header on and all was good. The EGR tube missing sounding HORRIBLE but I just had to drive to the shop and back today so not far. I got the new EGR tude this afternoon and put it on, so far so good. I can tell a little difference in power but not throw you back in the seat. The sound is a little throatier and I like that.

All in all the job was not that hard but I would not want to do it everyday.