Headlights, and other questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gator projectors suck

I run LED fogs at night on mine to see much of anything at all

OP
OP
M

Mr Shank

Reaction score
You might double check your vin against the ford decoder in Etis, in 07 the EL was available with the 3.31 or the 3.73 and both were rated to tow the same load. However they drove and behaved very differently (much better with 3.73). If you have the integrated trailer brake controller (not sure if that was an option in 07?) it would for sure be 3.73 gears. I believe the limited had them standard as well.
Yeah, I pulled the VIN, it has the 3.73. The integrated trailer brake appears to become an option about 2015. I looked at retro-fitting, but the dash assembly is different, unless Ford just doesn't want to list the silver trim pieces around the center stack as a separate item.

Here's what I bought a year or so ago. I like them

I'm not a huge fan, but they're alright. As the rig is my wife's, her response was "If you're going to install those you might as well drop it and install spinners". Ouch...

I have done a retro on my 07 and working on my second now with a higher end projector. The easiest way to get a retro done is with a Morimoto mini H1 from theretrofitsource.com. robbing parts from a Gator sounds good but considering the modifications needed to the housing itself out weighs the benefits. Your best bet is the Mh1 because it has a threaded shaft that will slide through the original bulb hole and have a large but to fasten it into place. The mini h1 will also blow a gator projector out of the water.

That's good to know. I know you're slammed, but if you have a schematic for a jig at least, I'd be interested. My original thought was to simply swap the headlight assembly from a 2015 into the 2007. That's still my preferred swap, but I don't know if I need to do an LCM swap as well.

I'd then swap the halogen bulbs in the 2015 projector to either LED or HID.

With BMW it's just swap, code to car. With Ford, well, I don't know yet.

Unfortunately with the Idatalink you really wont gain much integration with an 07.

The head unit is going to be swapped as well, for an Alpine X208U. The goal is to get some additional readings (trans temp, cat temp, etc) displayed on the head unit. The idatalink device will also add remote start. The '07 that I bought has the rear DVD player, but because the drop down screen interferes with visibility, that will not be used, and may get removed at some point. I would be adding rear head rest mounted displays instead. The unit doesn't have SYNC, but I would need to keep the steering wheel controls.

Lastly, sorry for the delayed response. With the weather getting nice, work, yard work, car work (2011 Lincoln MKS) and other things have been pulling at my time.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI I believe the headlights on the newer rigs are different in shape, so they won't fit your vehicle.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
FYI I believe the headlights on the newer rigs are different in shape, so they won't fit your vehicle.
The entire housing from a 15-16 will not fit a 07-14. The projector it self could be used but it requires custom mounting. If your going to get into custom mounting your better off with an aftermarket projector from theretrofitsource.com.

OP
OP
M

Mr Shank

Reaction score
The entire housing from a 15-16 will not fit a 07-14. The projector it self could be used but it requires custom mounting. If your going to get into custom mounting your better off with an aftermarket projector from theretrofitsource.com.
Thanks for ******* in my pool, guys... :happy175:

So it looks like I'm going to be following gixer2000's work very closely then.

Are there any LCM changes that need to be made, or is the retrofit replacement (once completed) plug and play?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Thanks for ******* in my pool, guys... :happy175:

So it looks like I'm going to be following gixer2000's work very closely then.

Are there any LCM changes that need to be made, or is the retrofit replacement (once completed) plug and play?
The retrofit is 100% Plug and Play

I actually found out the hard way the newer lenses don't fit because I ordered a pair just for measurements. Once I was able to confirm they do not fit I return them

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gixer, which switchback LED strips were those? I’m considering popping some inside my housings now that I’ve cleared them:

1b0a2e9b03a5ee8ff3f6be93be91943c.jpg5d01e6430ce785e5a7f20952824406c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mubarakma

Reaction score
Not to bash what other people like but these really dont perform well and imo look cheap.

Switchback strips and leds can also be added to your original housing in almost any configuration you like but it just adds to the install time. I added a switchback strip to the blank area of my oems

View attachment 25227

View attachment 25228

View attachment 25229
This is more white than blue. Not sure why it came out blue
View attachment 25230

View attachment 25231
Amazing job done
better than aftermarket headlight
Any future upgrades ?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Amazing job done
better than aftermarket headlight
Any future upgrades ?
My last pictures are the upgraded. The first set I posted with the led strip is my current. The upgraded set are the ones mounted with nuts and bolts. The projector in the new set is said to be the best performer to ever hit the market so I'm pretty excited to get them done