headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello im just curious is there any way i can make my hid headlights turn on automatically as soon as i do the ignition i have a 1999 ford expedition Xlt.?

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
find a spot in your fuse panel that comes on when the key is turned.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Exp099, I guess I need to know a little more about your setup before we start getting into rewiring things. When you had the HIDs added, did you have them wire up a separate relay to power the HIDs or did you run them straight off of the factory wiring? This will change how things are run wiring wise. It can be as simple as running a single new wire, or possibly as "complicated" as a few wires and a relay. But, overall, if you have any wiring knowledge, you will be able to do this wiring mod yourself.

OP
OP
Exp099

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exp099, I guess I need to know a little more about your setup before we start getting into rewiring things. When you had the HIDs added, did you have them wire up a separate relay to power the HIDs or did you run them straight off of the factory wiring? This will change how things are run wiring wise. It can be as simple as running a single new wire, or possibly as "complicated" as a few wires and a relay. But, overall, if you have any wiring knowledge, you will be able to do this wiring mod yourself.

Yeah i ran them straight from the factory wiring.. nope ihave no wiring knowledge lol il just leave it like that idont want too burn anything or mess up something thanks guys.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have the time...anytime...make that trip to THERMO...he's E/E by trade...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Freeway, since he is in Redwood City, he would have about a 3,000 mile trip to reach me. At best a 1,000 mile trip down to Phoenix when my work sends me there. Granted, back a few months I was out in Santa Barbara which would have been his best shot. c'est la vie.

Exp099, go check out http://fordtruckworld.com/ew/gallery/PhotoView.asp?PhotoID=1079678. This has a drawing that I made up awhile back to help people make up their aftermarket lights. But, in your case, it will work too. Just two changes that need to be made. The green wire I show, that is going to run over to both of the red wires for the HID ballasts. Also, the "red/yellow wire from the headlight switch" is really going to be an extension of the black/pink wire from the back of the radio. If you are feeling froggy, you can tap into the fuse box, but from personal experience, it is going to be easier to run a wire from the back of the radio. If you are thinking about the fuse box, let me know and I will see what I can do for you there.

OP
OP
Exp099

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Freeway, since he is in Redwood City, he would have about a 3,000 mile trip to reach me. At best a 1,000 mile trip down to Phoenix when my work sends me there. Granted, back a few months I was out in Santa Barbara which would have been his best shot. c'est la vie.

Exp099, go check out http://fordtruckworld.com/ew/gallery/PhotoView.asp?PhotoID=1079678. This has a drawing that I made up awhile back to help people make up their aftermarket lights. But, in your case, it will work too. Just two changes that need to be made. The green wire I show, that is going to run over to both of the red wires for the HID ballasts. Also, the "red/yellow wire from the headlight switch" is really going to be an extension of the black/pink wire from the back of the radio. If you are feeling froggy, you can tap into the fuse box, but from personal experience, it is going to be easier to run a wire from the back of the radio. If you are thinking about the fuse box, let me know and I will see what I can do for you there.

Oh cool okay il give it a try on saturday il let you know how it went thanks thermo i apriciate it

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got my peep mixed...too many threads that were updated since i got on yesterday...running together...all i know is i'm coming to see you...so you have a spare bed right? AND...i snore...lol

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Freeway, ah, now is a bad time. Lets see, son is down from baltimore (heading back wednesday), but i also have my nephew in town trying to get him back on his feet. So, unforutnately, my spare bedroom is a little booked at the moment. LMAO.