Height and fit in garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nytimes770

Reaction score
I may pull trigger on an xlt tomorrow. With the rack on top will I have any problems getting it in my standard size residential garage?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only if your door is sagging and not going all the way up at the top as some do when springs need adjusted.

mpc11

Reaction score
Shouldn't. But you may have to adjust the stop point if you have the hands-free liftgate.

nobrainer

Reaction score
best way to know is to get out a measuring tape and measure.
210″ L x 80″ W x 76-77″ H --- this is for the regular size (non-max).
I had to set my stop point on the lift gate height lower than I would have liked because of my garage door.

JNick

Reaction score
While the factory rack/rails likely won't have a clearance issue, if you put anything on those rails that's another story.

I am battling that right now. I can't find a solution to transport skis on the roof without it hitting the garage door opening.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While the factory rack/rails likely won't have a clearance issue, if you put anything on those rails that's another story.

I am battling that right now. I can't find a solution to transport skis on the roof without it hitting the garage door opening.

Time for an 8' tall garage door! I'm actually in the process of having our 7' tall door opening enlarged so that an 8' tall door can be installed for a Super Duty to fit comfortably.

JNick

Reaction score
Time for an 8' tall garage door! I'm actually in the process of having our 7' tall door opening enlarged so that an 8' tall door can be installed for a Super Duty to fit comfortably.

How much is that costing?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife will sometimes park right smack dab in the middle of our 2 car bay when its empty.

She learned by surprise that the power-is-out-emergency-release-cord (which dangles from the rail trolly) wanted to hop in and go for a ride when she has the moon roof open. The T-shaped handle is something like a hook and probably could have pulled had she not noticed. We don't have a roof rack but wonder if crossbars would also grab hold.

The long cord had a knot at the end which the T-handle sits on. I simply cut the cord a foot shorter, tied a new knot, and now you have to tippy toe to reach it. Crisis averted.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much is that costing?

More than I care to admit. Have new LVL's for the 16' span that supports the roof over the door opening and have to have masonry work redone above the opening before the new door is installed. Have lots of ceiling height, so it will be a nice improvement. I can finally pull the Expy into the garage with a Thule box on the roof, etc and have height for a Super Duty in the not too distant future. Super Duty's are right on the hairy edge of 7' tall, so too close for me if there is snow on the approach, etc.