Height and fit in garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JNick

Reaction score
More than I care to admit. Have new LVL's for the 16' span that supports the roof over the door opening and have to have masonry work redone above the opening before the new door is installed. Have lots of ceiling height, so it will be a nice improvement. I can finally pull the Expy into the garage with a Thule box on the roof, etc and have height for a Super Duty in the not too distant future. Super Duty's are right on the hairy edge of 7' tall, so too close for me if there is snow on the approach, etc.

I have an 8' (or higher) garage door on my wish list for the next house we buy/build.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 8' (or higher) garage door on my wish list for the next house we buy/build.
Our secondary basement garage has a 8 footer and it’s awesome. Unfortunately it’s 1.5 inches too short for our new overland trailer so I have to do a wheel swap before parking it. I guess it’s not so bad as this will prevent any flat spotting but 1.5 inches is so close. The last house we ever buy will not have this issue, we are sure if that.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Work like that is expensive today. I would guess at least 2000-3000 and this depends on if you are using a new door or adding on to old one as you can sometimes do,

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More than I care to admit. Have new LVL's for the 16' span that supports the roof over the door opening and have to have masonry work redone above the opening before the new door is installed. Have lots of ceiling height, so it will be a nice improvement. I can finally pull the Expy into the garage with a Thule box on the roof, etc and have height for a Super Duty in the not too distant future. Super Duty's are right on the hairy edge of 7' tall, so too close for me if there is snow on the approach, etc.
I’d love a higher entry. But some dope ran the roof line the wrong way. I’d need to lift the roof off and rejigger the whole damn thing. Expedition fits but only nakid. Even just after market Yakima bars stick up too high.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may pull trigger on an xlt tomorrow. With the rack on top will I have any problems getting it in my standard size residential garage?

I'm not aware of a "standard". As previously said, measure.

Mine fits with a 79" high opening, as long as I make sure to shovel off any snow outside the door first.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny moment... I pulled into a parking garage for the first time in my new Expy.

My previous vehicle, 2011 Honda Pilot, never had issues going into these places. However, with the roof racks on, I was VERY close to the 6'5" clearance. I had the sunroof shade open so I could see exactly how close we were.

Now the funny moment... Apparently, I physically ducked as we went in. My wife laughed so hard she had tears down her face. LOL

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2009 fits in the garage just fine. One word of caution about garage doors. Remove the emergency release cord completely. A thief can reach a coat hanger wire over the top of your door, snag it, yank it and open the door. Removing the cord stops that. And if you ever need to disengage the door opener, just get up on a stepstool and release it with a screwdriver.

Gmas15

Reaction score
We have a 6.5ft high opening. (Garage is under the house) Had to remove the factory bars, but it fits with 1-2in to spare. I had the dealer drive it over to confirm before we bought it. Got yakima bars since they're very easy to put on/take off.