Hellwig 7688 rear sway bar not fitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ynpmoose

Reaction score
Has anyone else purchased this sway bar? Was your install successful?

I'm currently working with Hellwig support. As of now, it is not fitting the truck. It's like the long straight part needs to be about 1/2" to 1" longer. The bends are landing within the bushings. If you look at the pics, I aligned the left side brackets and the right side brackets are not nearly aligned.

20170922_120123.jpg

20170922_120654.jpg

20170922_120658.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like they sent the wrong part! If it doesn't match up with the old one, send it back!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a whopping THREE different rear sway bar setups, based on the *3* different bushing sizes that pop up if you search for your vehicle and year....

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
There's a whopping THREE different rear sway bar setups, based on the *3* different bushing sizes that pop up if you search for your vehicle and year....
Is that just for different bushings or is the actual bar different?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is that just for different bushings or is the actual bar different?

3 different internal diameters (its something like 19, 20, and 22 or thereabouts... differences so small you might not see them, and probably be able to accidentally install the wrong bushing with a bit of force/slack)

suggests 3 different bar sizes....which might also have different shapes

Qatarguy

Reaction score
Hellwig sway bar (And probably other brands sway bars as well) is vehicle specific and options specific. You need to check if your truck came with factory end links or without, if you have trailer package (19mm sway bar) or without, Auto adjusting suspension - 18mm sway bar or without auto adjusting suspension - 21mm sway bar.

with that, as previous posters said, the shape of the sway bar would change as well.

Best to return or exchange with the correct sway bar.

Good luck

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Hellwig sway bar (And probably other brands sway bars as well) is vehicle specific and options specific. You need to check if your truck came with factory end links or without, if you have trailer package (19mm sway bar) or without, Auto adjusting suspension - 18mm sway bar or without auto adjusting suspension - 21mm sway bar.

with that, as previous posters said, the shape of the sway bar would change as well.

Good luck
Looks like only 1 option available for the rear from hellwig

Screenshot_2018-02-06-08-01-21.png

OP
OP
ynpmoose

ynpmoose

Reaction score

Good luck

I have trailer package, without auto-level, with end links. Hellwig only lists one part number for 2016 rear sway bar. I'm trying to work with their support to figure this out.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have trailer package, without auto-level, with end links. Hellwig only lists one part number for 2016 rear sway bar. I'm trying to work with their support to figure this out.

Does hellwig use their own size or is it supposed to be the same size as your original?

If same, then look up bushing sizes for the '16... with trailer, without level should probably be the 19mm one (21mm is the one with level, without trailer package)

OP
OP
ynpmoose

ynpmoose

Reaction score
Does hellwig use their own size or is it supposed to be the same size as your original?

If same, then look up bushing sizes for the '16... with trailer, without level should probably be the 19mm one (21mm is the one with level, without trailer package)

Their bar is 7/8" and comes with its own bushings and brackets. My problem is the bracket bolts are fixed to the frame and not wide enough by about an inch.