Hellwig Front Bushing Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was the clunking noise you are describing occuring when you turned or when there was a bump im road while going straight? Thanks, i got some noise from mine and wonder if this will fix issue.
I had the same issue develop with my front Hellwig just weeks after installing it. In my case, it seemed like driving straight over uneven roads or patched potholes was when it clunked the most.

I believe you would hear it less in a turn, simply because the body lean would be applying force on the sway bar, effectively pinning it in place.

Worn out (or faulty) sway bar bushings can easily be confirmed, or refuted, as the source of your noise by taking the sway bar off and driving around. That‘s what I did. Took it off—the noise went away. Put it back on—the noise immediately came back.

Hellwig promptly sent me a new set of bushings—no questions asked, and the noise never returned.

OP
OP
K

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the replacement set exactly the same and the ones that came with the bar?

I may hit them up for a replacement set just to have around as a spare.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was the replacement set exactly the same and the ones that came with the bar?

I may hit them up for a replacement set just to have around as a spare.
Yep. Looked identical to the ones that were on it. Guess they have some QC inconsistencies?

WALoeIII

Reaction score
I developed the clunk after about 6 months. Replaced them last month and still quiet. Thanks for the great beta, will try if clunk returns on newer batch of bushings.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone just reused the stock Ford bushings and brackets from their original sway bar...or even know if the bars are the same diameter? I saved all four, front and rear, in the event that the "hammer finish" paint on the Hellwig would eventually wear smooth and, if the bars are the same diameter, we could just throw the stock parts back on. The stock brackets have round, not elongated slots for the attaching bolts.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Has anyone just reused the stock Ford bushings and brackets from their original sway bar...or even know if the bars are the same diameter? I saved all four, front and rear, in the event that the "hammer finish" paint on the Hellwig would eventually wear smooth and, if the bars are the same diameter, we could just throw the stock parts back on. The stock brackets have round, not elongated slots for the attaching bolts.
Judging by the OPs pictures they are same thickness. But why would you want to reuse the stock hardware? What’s the benefit? That’s like taking a shower and putting your dirty soiled used underwear back on. Just get new ones

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My stock parts had only 10K miles on them. Even slightly worn, they appear to be higher quality than the Hellwigs. In the long run, I consider it better to have then and not need them than to need them and no longer have them; plus they take up minimal space in my rollaway.

OP
OP
K

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock bar is slightly smaller in diameter than the Hellwig. I pulled the OEM bushing out to check first before getting the Prothane units. OEM brackets have a more precise fit since they the holes are not elongated and sized well. Hellwig bracket holes are elongated and larger so there isn’t as much contact with the nuts. The Prothane brackets have slimmer, elongated holes so figment is better than the Hellwig hardware.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My stock parts had only 10K miles on them. Even slightly worn, they appear to be higher quality than the Hellwigs. In the long run, I consider it better to have then and not need them than to need them and no longer have them; plus they take up minimal space in my rollaway.
Not the same diameter. Your OEM bushings will not work on the Hellwig bar.