HELP - I am at my wits end - 05 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notrega

Reaction score
Continuation from this thread - Not ANOTHER Engine Noise Thread/

TL/DR at the bottom

I bought an 05 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 142k miles. No ticking when purchased but developed it shortly after of course. Got a guy to look at it on the side in trade for some fun items.

He says that it is the timing chains and doubts it is the phasers. He pulls it apart and replaces the timing chains. I ask him to go ahead and replace the phasers. He says he inspected them and they are good to go. He also replaced all my plugs...

I get it back and it is fine, runs great, no noise. Then the noise comes back intermittently and not as bad as before. He looks at it and says the timing chains must have failed. He goes back in it and tells me that the timing chains are fine and that the phasers are going bad now... WTF??

When I get it back noise is still there but now I am getting P0340 and P0345 codes and it sometimes stalls at stops. Engine starts to run rough and stalls. If I get it in neutral and give it some gas it smooths out...

I tell him if he had put the phasers in when I had asked him too we might not be going through all this. So no charge for going back into it to check the timing chains.

I bought the phasers and he put them in today. Sounds GREAT but I still have the intermittent stalling issue and intermittent P0340 and P0345 codes.

He is now saying that we may need to change out the cam sensors...

What the heck is going on here??

Video 1
http://youtu.be/rjcqFM1sj5Q

?? - YouTube

Video 2
2005 Expedition - YouTube

Last edited:

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the problem started with "Got a guy to look at it on the side in trade for some fun items."

OP
OP
Notrega

Notrega

Reaction score
4 kids make for a limited budget... and your comment really helps... I appreciate it

The 'guy' works in a legit shop... just does work on the side in the shop on the off hours...

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

being its been apart a few times I would check the wiring and the connectors on the cam sensors first. It may be possible that if he disconnected them that the pins are bent or that he didn't connect them properly. But no matter what you do I wouldn't let him touch it again. Just my opinion

OP
OP
Notrega

Notrega

Reaction score
Just finished changing the sensors...

Stalled twice but no P0340/P0345 codes but now I get P0012 A Camshaft Position - Timing Over Retarded

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
A few questions: 1) did the guy change the tensioners and guides as well? The reason the timing components fail prematurely in these motors is due to a faulty oil seal on the tensioners. 2) Does it run smoothly despite the codes, or does it feel off a bit. Timing these motors is not all that complicated, however it is easy for the chain to miss the mark. These motors will "run" off a tooth, maybe 2 but after that I doubt it. If the cam timing is wrong you will be experiencing these codes. The crank position sensor & cam position sensors work together to validate that all 3 are in sync. When one or both cams are out of time in relation to the crank, the result (assuming it runs) are usually the codes you mentioned. It looks like he got the timing better on the re-do, but not quite right possibly? I hope he did all of the timing components while he was in there...

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4 kids make for a limited budget... and your comment really helps... I appreciate it

The 'guy' works in a legit shop... just does work on the side in the shop on the off hours...

Doesn't matter where he works. Any time someone does something "on the side" you have to be prepared for sub-par service no matter how good you think they are. In addition, you don't have the shop to back it up or their insurance.

I understand limited funds and trying to make things work. My point to you and anyone else reading this thread is to beware of on the side work. I've used it in the past myself and have found that I've needed to go legit to get repaired properly and ended up paying more in the end.

OP
OP
Notrega

Notrega

Reaction score
A few questions: 1) did the guy change the tensioners and guides as well? The reason the timing components fail prematurely in these motors is due to a faulty oil seal on the tensioners. 2) Does it run smoothly despite the codes, or does it feel off a bit. Timing these motors is not all that complicated, however it is easy for the chain to miss the mark. These motors will "run" off a tooth, maybe 2 but after that I doubt it. If the cam timing is wrong you will be experiencing these codes. The crank position sensor & cam position sensors work together to validate that all 3 are in sync. When one or both cams are out of time in relation to the crank, the result (assuming it runs) are usually the codes you mentioned. It looks like he got the timing better on the re-do, but not quite right possibly? I hope he did all of the timing components while he was in there...

Timing chain and tensioners done 6 weeks ago. He showed me the blown seal...

98% of the time it runs great, quiet and plenty of power. The 2% it acts wonky is at very low idle with no acceleration. Like at a stop light or pulling into a parking spot. Although once it acted that way easing along at 20-30mph with my foot off the gas. It will crank right back up and I give it a little gas and it smooths right out. After that it will lose power under moderate acceleration, rpms top out around 3500 and you can tell it isn't doing what it is supposed to do.

The codes, according to Torque, the codes are "pending"...
J07BFoRl.jpg

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
VCT Solenoids or cam sensors? All connections are good I am assuming. It seems like the mechanical piece of the job is correct (the actual cam timing). When I did my phasers/ chains/guides/tensioners I removed the VCT solenoids & the oil galleries at the front of the heads where the VCT solenoids are located. I cleaned out the passages with solvent & compressed air. Did you change out any of the solenoids, or the cam sensors?