Help Please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the factory wiring diagrams the Navigator is the one with a separate radio amplifier. The Expedition radio amp is part either part of the head unit or the rear integrated control panel. It shows 5 wires connecting the two together - one being a shield wire. My guess is the amp section is in the rear control panel.

OP
OP
04ExpeditionEB

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
According to the factory wiring diagrams the Navigator is the one with a separate radio amplifier. The Expedition radio amp is part either part of the head unit or the rear integrated control panel. It shows 5 wires connecting the two together - one being a shield wire. My guess is the amp section is in the rear control panel.

Oh thats just f'n great lol..
So i assume ill need to replace the rear control unit in order to correct the issue?

Im waiting for my manual from a member here so i can look all this up

But thank you for investigating this. It made sense that the head unit did all the work since i was not able to physically locate an actual amplifier. in any of the locations

*********EDIT **************
I have looked at images of the rear controls and it is just that controls. there is not amplifier built into it so since the headphone jacks in stereo I will have to check the righ side speakers i really doubt that both are blown but you never know. i just dont think its outputting to the speaker.

I just was looking to confirm the headunit was all there was, meaning i have to repalce the nav unit. i wish there was a way to test output from head and verify the problem was in the amp of the head unit.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the headphones work then the signals are good to the rear control unit. If not it may be a harness issue or head unit.

OP
OP
04ExpeditionEB

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
If the headphones work then the signals are good to the rear control unit. If not it may be a harness issue or head unit.

I say head unit for the amplified right channel being out fro both front and rear..
I guess there is only 1 way to test. ill need to get a speaker to test the right side.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the amp is on top of the sub...take off the rear panel in the back

OP
OP
04ExpeditionEB

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
I have to disagree, i have removed the top cover and disconnected the amp on the sub, it only turned off the sub not the speakers. this is why i find it so hard to track down..

Thanks for the responses.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree, i have removed the top cover and disconnected the amp on the sub, it only turned off the sub not the speakers. this is why i find it so hard to track down..

Thanks for the responses.

he is correct...I completely removed mine and my speakers work...u have a different issue so check wiring and audio settings

OP
OP
04ExpeditionEB

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
I have already gone into the head's settings, I have used the on-board speaker test holding 3 and 6 to test speaker output. nothing from right speakers at all.

If I enable dual play the front speakers jumps in volume other then that the rest of the speakers are out. So if I do not have an AMP for the 4 speakers (I assume at this point I do not-since I am unable to find one and no one is able to direct me to the exact location of said AMP) I will have to assume that its integrated into the navigation unit.
This Really sucks and I am totally shocked as there are so many 04's on the road that no one is able to 100% provide an answer, someone somewhere had to know or replace their units. (you figure navigation unit = Fords best system) I guess that may not be the case. anyway, Still trying to diagnose this issue so I can get the bloody thing playing out of the proper speakers. i have a long drive in the morning and after work and enjoy some music. I really do not want to replace the unit and loose the factory look and options.
Is there anyone who can recommend a stereo repair facility to replace the defective amp circuit who is reasonable.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
although there are a lot of expeditions...04's...not everyone has one with factory navigation AND not everyone has had this prob...i would venture to say that either no one has had this problem or they arent active anymore who did...the prob isnt the amp cause i took mine out completely and still had sound...so its in the head unit or the settings on the rear entertainment console

OP
OP
04ExpeditionEB

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
although there are a lot of expeditions...04's...not everyone has one with factory navigation AND not everyone has had this prob...i would venture to say that either no one has had this problem or they aren't active anymore who did...the prob isn't the amp cause i took mine out completely and still had sound...so its in the head unit or the settings on the rear entertainment console

I apologize if I came across as if i was insulting in my post, I'm just a tad frustrated. In several days of searching forums, here and others, and goggling till my fingers bled! Lol.. i have come up with no definitive answer to this issue. I'm simply just surprised that this is not referenced anywhere.

Hell I cant even figure out which manufacturer made the head unit as its not marked with a manufacturer. If I could get that info I may be able to look at the circuitry for it and find the Amp circuit to repair it my self. I'm pretty good at circuit level repairs.

Does anyone have the circuit info for this head unit?
Or better yet, the chip number for the amplifiers? I can start there and locate them and attempt to replace them to see if this resolves the issue. would be a quick fix.