Help smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recently I have noticed this smoke only on start up for about 5 seconds then doesn't do it again until it has been setting for at least an hour or so then same thing. ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another pic. Sorry my phone won't allow me to post more than one at a time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 116

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Valve seals/guides are worn letting oil into the cylinder once the engine is stopped. Also is happening when running but not as noticeable. You should also see the oil level dropping over time if it is really bad.

OP
OP
B

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would it all of a sudden be this noticeable. Literally just within the last few weeks?

OP
OP
B

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5w20 126,000 on. The clock.
Bought it with 80,000 and have run whatever full synthetic is on sale the week I change my oil. Change it pretty much every 5000 miles. And never had a problem until now.

Since my first post I just changed my oil about 30 min ago bc this problem really worrying me and was extremely surprised to find only about 3 quarts drain out.

So I changed it as normal but added some Lucas stabilizer with it. I'm not normally a fan of additives but my cousin swears by it so I thought mabe it would help with preventing any farther wear.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may consider changing to a slightly heavier oil, I'm running 10w30 in mine with 211+ on the clock.
All that has to happen is one seal lets go and you start the morning smoke. If you don't have emission testing I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the oil consumption is high and/or the plugs start fouling.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am with stamp on this one

That is the dictionary description of the classic leaking valve seal issue...

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stop the presses. I had the same problem and when I searched, leaking valve seals was the number one "answer". However, the number two answer cost me $5 and worked. I replaced the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover. It fixed my issue.

The concept being that as the motor cools, the PCV valve should let the crack case vent but instead, the drop in temp creates a suction that pulls the oil past the seals. I'm not saying that your valves aren't bad, but mine hasn't smoked since and I believe in trying the $5 fixes before the valve job.