High Belt Line on 4th gens!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I only use the rear glass when stuff is pilled high enough to be near where the glass opens. I still am a huge fan of the glass opening, its a feature I really like.
Couldn't agree more. When I bought the first generation WK2, the 2011 model had an opening lift glass but 2012 and beyond it wasn't even an option. I kind of said that might be my last, I use it a lot. At least once a day, but then again on this thing, I have to be so uber careful since the stupid defroster connections can pop off if you blow on them. That definitely wasn't an issue on my jeep, they were protected by part of the trim.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vehicles seem to get taller every redesign

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. When I bought the first generation WK2, the 2011 model had an opening lift glass but 2012 and beyond it wasn't even an option. I kind of said that might be my last, I use it a lot. At least once a day, but then again on this thing, I have to be so uber careful since the stupid defroster connections can pop off if you blow on them. That definitely wasn't an issue on my jeep, they were protected by part of the trim.

My Gen3 Limited had the rear side windows that opened outward to vent. (The way back side windows). That is the GREATEST venting feature ever. You can vent the rear while carrying stinky cargo (fertilizer, fuel, garbage, etc). You can open the rear passenger windows without loud drumming.

I was sad to see no trim level gen 4 had this feature.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Gen3 Limited had the rear side windows that opened outward to vent. (The way back side windows). That is the GREATEST venting feature ever. You can vent the rear while carrying stinky cargo (fertilizer, fuel, garbage, etc). You can open the rear passenger windows without loud drumming.

I was sad to see no trim level gen 4 had this feature.
I kind of agree, while I've never had a vehicle that had those windows, I would love to have that option when my dog is in the back, as I'm not okay with opening the lift glass, my dumb dog would like try to climb out while moving. I truly feel like there are so many basic features that are so useful, that these days are going the way side, in favor of high tech features that are far more prone to failing. I still really miss the side mirrors that pivot down every time you back up, I just watched a brand new Yukon Denali that still has this feature. My last 2 jeeps did it. Made backing into parking spots so much easier.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still really miss the side mirrors that pivot down every time you back up, I just watched a brand new Yukon Denali that still has this feature. My last 2 jeeps did it. Made backing into parking spots so much easier.
The Expy "kind of" has this - see this post: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/auto-reverse-tilt-side-mirrors.41561/post-370976
Not nearly as user-friendly since you have to push a button to get it to work every time you back up, and you can't have both tilt at the same time (at least that's how I understand it).

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expy "kind of" has this - see this post: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/auto-reverse-tilt-side-mirrors.41561/post-370976
Not nearly as user-friendly since you have to push a button to get it to work every time you back up, and you can't have both tilt at the same time (at least that's how I understand it).
I tried that several times and tried the forscan methods and none of them worked, this actually caused the flopping mirror issue for me. Both of them caused the clicking/flopping mirror issues and I had to reverse both of them (of course I didn't try both at the same time). It really doesn't have this feature, and yes, for those that have gotten it to work, it's only the drivers side mirror. Just kinda stupid for a vehicle of this cost/class to missing something so simple.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried that several times and tried the forscan methods and none of them worked, this actually caused the flopping mirror issue for me. Both of them caused the clicking/flopping mirror issues and I had to reverse both of them (of course I didn't try both at the same time). It really doesn't have this feature, and yes, for those that have gotten it to work, it's only the drivers side mirror. Just kinda stupid for a vehicle of this cost/class to missing something so simple.
The clicking mirror issue has a fix (reprogramming a module) - that's also in a thread here.

It's not only the driver's side - you can do the same with the passenger side. But you have to select the passenger side mirror adjust button.

But, the proper and acceptable solution would have been to let us choose to drop both mirrors as soon as the truck is in reverse. How hard would that have been? It's just a few lines of software I bet...

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still really miss the side mirrors that pivot down every time you back up, I just watched a brand new Yukon Denali that still has this feature. My last 2 jeeps did it. Made backing into parking spots so much easier.

This is really frustrating because this could be done with just software, no additional HW expense per vehicle.