How Many Here Run F150 Bilsteins Front Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How Many Here Run F150 Bilsteins Front Shocks?

We all know 95Scobby's Ruby Red beauty does, but who else does?

I am quite sure you all are sick of my questions--trust me, I am too!

I currently have both sets of 5100s (F150 and Expys) and notice the F150s have an extra metal sleeve (called a Spring Seat Support--not to be confused with the spring seat).

I wanted to ask those who put the F150 shocks in their Expys if they used them? Bilstein customer service has no effective answer for me.

Expy shock on left (ring set to highest spot for 1.6 of lift /F150 on right (ring set to lowest for approx 3 inches of lift.

39285-4061a4b1b7f98371a9687519327662dc.jpg

39284-b5ff0234025c6d772464afe5adb6aebd.jpg

Here is the ring in question, seated on the Expy shock. The ring adds 1/2 of an inch in height to the normal seat. Does this fit the Expy factory spring perch? And if so, will it add an inch of lift?

39283-5547d4fe9b9025e4cd1640d4b1fc0a75.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are both the same diameter. That picture of the sleeve is actually on the Expy.

I can't seem to figure out, if I add the F150 sleeve to the Expy shock, will it give me 2.1 inches of lift (as opposed to 1.6), or if I remove it from the F150 shock it will give me (2.5 inches of lift (as opposed to 3 inches).

I guess I will learn the hard way today.

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are both the same diameter. That picture of the sleeve is actually on the Expy.

I can't seem to figure out, if I add the F150 sleeve to the Expy shock, will it give me 2.1 inches of lift (as opposed to 1.6), or if I remove it from the F150 shock it will give me (2.5 inches of lift (as opposed to 3 inches).

I guess I will learn the hard way today.
Let us know what you find out Dave!

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not good.

The rears lifted fine--1.75 inches according to my math. The fronts... well something went wrong.

I am only getting .80 of an inch lift so the truck is going back tomorrow.

Again, I used the F150 shocks, on the lowest setting (as instructed--which reads as 'stock height' BTW--unless I got that wrong?)

I DID NOT use the silver spacer, hoping to get me 2.5 inches of lift (instead of 3--which is too level IMHO).

Installer and I are researching.

Also, don't know why my first post pictures are gone, and I can't edit the first post...

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to judge the lift height based on the expedition shock.First measure the distance between the lowest snap ring groove and the shock bottom mounting point. This is the baseline for your stock height. Let’s say this is 7 inches. Next measure the distance between the bottom edge of the outermost snap ring grooves. That lets us know the distance required to lift the vehicle 1.6 inches. To keep the math simple, let’s say it is 0.8 inches. 1.6/0.8=2. If this were the case then you would get a 2:1 ratio for lift for anything above the 7 inch mark. A target of 2.5 would lead to an assumption that 7+(2.5/2)=8.25 inches from the lower shock mount would give you the desired lift.
-For the F150, you would have to consider the spacer thing as well.
-note these are hypothetical numbers and you would need to plug in the actual measurements.
-This relies on me assuming that I know how the suspension works, so be critical of me. Take everything from forums with a grain of salt.