How many owners out there with no major issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
Curious, with all the issues you see on here about the transmission, shuddering, and cam and turbos I'm currious what the percentage that these issues are happening? I'm still on the side-line with my 3rd gen waiting for prices to level out or come down and had intended to buy a light-ly used 4th Gen. But the amount of issues I see is alarming. Or are we just seeing the reports of those with issues? How many of you out there have had no major issues with your 4th gen Expy?
Had a 2020 platinum max that was pretty good for the most part.
It had a very noticeable rattle coming from the waste gate actuators. Took it in and Ford did nothing. It literally sounded like a heatshield on a Kia rattling around especially when we went through drive-thrus. For an 80,000 it is pretty embarrassing. The drivers side mirror had an annoying whistle which a member found a fix for on here.
Transmission was very jerky at times, brought this up to the dealer and of course nothing was done.

My wife just traded the 2020 platinum max in for a 2021 platinum max with 4 miles on it. She didn't like the 2022 coming out.

This 2021 has none of the rattle noises yet, no hard transmission shifting yet... however I did notice there is a whistle coming from the driver's side mirror being brand new just like her 2020.

Overall I would give the expedition a 7 / 10 as far as quality.

I am pretty pissed off I have to take her 2021 to the body shop because someone in Kentucky doesn't know how to align the doors properly and the gas fill cover looks like it is open because it is not installed properly

If my wife wasn't in love with the interior and family function of this vehicle I would have never bought another one. These are expensive vehicles and there are just some issues that I feel shouldn't be there for a brand new vehicle.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It had a very noticeable rattle coming from the waste gate actuators. Took it in and Ford did nothing. It literally sounded like a heatshield on a Kia rattling around especially when we went through drive-thrus. For an 80,000 it is pretty embarrassing. The drivers side mirror had an annoying whistle which a member found a fix for on here.
Transmission was very jerky at times, brought this up to the dealer and of course nothing was done.

My wife just traded the 2020 platinum max in for a 2021 platinum max with 4 miles on it. She didn't like the 2022 coming out.

This 2021 has none of the rattle noises yet, no hard transmission shifting yet... however I did notice there is a whistle coming from the driver's side mirror being brand new just like her 2020.

I am pretty pissed off I have to take her 2021 to the body shop because someone in Kentucky doesn't know how to align the doors properly and the gas fill cover looks like it is open because it is not installed properly

If my wife wasn't in love with the interior and family function of this vehicle I would have never bought another one. These are expensive vehicles and there are just some issues that I feel shouldn't be there for a brand new vehicle.
I think this is a good take.

I love my 2018 and plan to keep it for several more years. But it does have some lingering issues (wastegate, transmission, etc.) as well as some others that have been corrected under warranty (cam phasers, side mirror malfunction, etc.).

This is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned (certainly the most expensive) and I don't mind dealing with those issues because I am used to driving $40k F150s and $30k Nissans. But if I had come from a Merc or an Audi of equivalent price, I bet I'd be PISSED about the quality.

But again, given my history of vehicles, I am happy with mine...warts and all.

bwoodard

Reaction score

Out of curiosity how would you say your rear passenger door is misaligned? We bought a 2021 expedition max and have noticed misalignment with our driver’s side rear door…the panel gap is larger than rest of the doors as well as the door slightly sticking out further than the others. It almost looks as if the door is not completely closed. Took it to the dealer to address it and they said all the 21’s have doors that are slightly tipped out to prevent rattling when the seals settle. Also stated the larger gap in that door was within spec and refused to make any adjustments. I find it hard to believe as other 21’s we’ve looked at have aligned panels for the most part (at least not as sloppy looking as ours). It’s an eye sore to me and stands out every time I get into the vehicle.

image98

Reaction score
Happy owner of a 2019 Limited Stealth. I only have around 11k miles on it. Traded in from an Audi Q7 since I was so impressed with my 2017 Raptor. For the value and functionality, I don't think I will be going back to any German cars anytime soon. I upgraded to Hellwig Swaybars, which improved cornering and removed the bobble sway. If anything, I wish the tow package included mirrors that could electronically motor out to see around a wide Rv or enclosed race trailer. Other than that, a larger gas tank would be another small item on my request list, but overall I'm really pleased with the Expedition. The 2022 looks to be even better with the 440 hp bump and the large touchscreen.

272109D0-2BEE-4942-9FCD-7320139BC924.JPG

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
Out of curiosity how would you say your rear passenger door is misaligned? We bought a 2021 expedition max and have noticed misalignment with our driver’s side rear door…the panel gap is larger than rest of the doors as well as the door slightly sticking out further than the others. It almost looks as if the door is not completely closed. Took it to the dealer to address it and they said all the 21’s have doors that are slightly tipped out to prevent rattling when the seals settle. Also stated the larger gap in that door was within spec and refused to make any adjustments. I find it hard to believe as other 21’s we’ve looked at have aligned panels for the most part (at least not as sloppy looking as ours). It’s an eye sore to me and stands out every time I get into the vehicle.
My door is misaligned almost the same exact way you are stating. I let the dealer know about it when I picked it up as I had my 2020 sitting right beside the new one and I was checking things over.
It took me 2 hours on the phone with Ford for them to acknowledge amd set me up with a body shop. The 2021 has 438 miles on it now since I picked it up. I put a picture so you can see what I am talking about. I know it's not right because the passenger side is not like this amd it definitely was not like this on my 2020.

20220110_153327.jpg

Attachments

• 20220110_153318.jpg
    20220110_153318.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220110_153301.jpg
    20220110_153301.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
My biggest complaint from me is that Ford needs to listen to the customers, we know what's normal and what is not.

To tell us stuff is normal when it is not is unacceptable. There is no reason our vehicles should have a rattle sound when it is idling like a piece of metal is going to fall off.

We are a ford family and I see good things happening with ford in the coming years and they did a hell of a job with these 4th gen expeditions. My wife and I sat in every vehicle from the BMW x7, navigator, suburban and yukon and this is the one that felt the best to sit in and the most comfortable. We like a little bit more of a truck feel, the navigator definitely drives and feels more like a car and it was excellent.

Jacob Taylor

Reaction score
Curious, with all the issues you see on here about the transmission, shuddering, and cam and turbos I'm currious what the percentage that these issues are happening? I'm still on the side-line with my 3rd gen waiting for prices to level out or come down and had intended to buy a light-ly used 4th Gen. But the amount of issues I see is alarming. Or are we just seeing the reports of those with issues? How many of you out there have had no major issues with your 4th gen Expy?
None got about 76k on ours

bwoodard

Reaction score
I will agree that Ford service departments fall extremely short in customer service. We’ve used 3 different Ford service departments in town and they are all the same. They are reluctant to fix anything unless it’s a true mechanical failure, brush things off as “normal” when clearly they are not, and have nonexistent communication between the customer and service advisors. We own a 2018 F250 and a 2021 Expedition Max and each trip to the Ford service department for both vehicles have been a disappointment. At this point we will only use Ford service departments for warranty work. We had a Yukon prior to the Expedition and the GMC service department was much more pleasant to deal with and took time to look at the customer’s concerns. Although we love our Fords, it does make me think twice about buying a Ford again just because of the poor customer service.

fatgroundhog

Reaction score
We were very disappointed with one service department (if they put the work done in the computer in the wrong order, I guess the computer tells them it's not warranty work...until my ninja wife got involved). We were more satisfied with the next service department, but it's clear they are pinched for resources and pushed to keep costs low. They were overworked, didn't have enough loaner vehicles, and struggled to get Ford to approve work that was clearly under warranty. I got to feel sorry for them.

Now, out of warranty, I feel weirdly free...yeah, it's on my dime, but I can pick a good, reasonably priced independent mechanic for fixing stuff.