How much can I "safely" tow with 2016/2017 Expedition EL Limited with HD Tow Package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamNeedsInfo

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. New to forum. New to Expeditions. New to travel trailers. Please bare with me. :)

Haven't bought either yet. But looking for the Expedition EL to become the new family vehicle (family of 5) and that it can also "safely" pull the Apex 289TBSS travel trailer that my wife wants. I have a friend with the same vehicle and nearly identical TT specs. And I see people on these forums pulling similar and even bigger/heavier trailers. Again, I'm new to all of this. But I keep running my numbers and I can't help but think that I would be exceeding some of the Expedition's weight/tow ratings. Which makes me think that my friend and many others in these forums are, too (either unknowingly or just willing to take the risk). I'll list the specs below. Please tell me if I'm overthinking all of this or if my concerns are valid.

2016/2017 Ford Expedition EL Limited, HD Tow Package (upgraded oil cooler and radiator, integrated brake controller, 7-pin), 3.73 rear axle, also plan to buy WDH with sway control
- max tow: 9200
- max tongue: 920
- GCWR: 15300
- max payload/cargo: 1400
- curb weight: 6100
- GVWR: 7500

2018 Apex 289TBSS
- dry weight: 5720
- hitch weight: 715
- carrying capacity: 1880
- GTWR: 7600

From my understanding, 9200 is how much this Expedition could tow if it only contained a 150lb driver, no cargo, no other passengers. But, we'll have 700-800 pounds of people. And it's been suggested to estimate having about 1000lbs of camping stuff in the TT. So, that would put me at 6720 lb GTW and a tongue weight of 840lb (using the same 12.5%). That 840 tongue weight combined with 800 lbs of people (with nothing else in the vehicle), already puts me 240 lbs over GVWR for the Expedition! Am I calculating this correctly? And how big of a deal is it?

In order to reduce my GVW by 240 lbs, I'd have to have a TT with a max tongue weight of 600. Using the same 12.5%, that would be a TT with 4800 GTW. Or 3800 dry weight. Much much smaller than I anticipated! :(

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our camper has a GVWR of 6310 lbs. Family weighs in in a similar bracket. Then we add beer, roof top box of firewood, kids drinks, and fishing stuff to Expy. Between the trailer brake and the tow/haul mode everything seems safe and sound. As far as safe handling, I think you'll be OK. Could a trooper make you weigh in and write you a ticket? Possibly. Is a trooper going to pull you over on a hunch? No. It will really only be a issue if, God forbid, you're in an accident and they weigh your rig because they feel it was a contributing factor.

Also, great camper choice. We have a Rockwood Roo 233S. A fair bit more setup time because of the fold out bunks but it sleeps our 5 quite comfortably.

P.S.
Join a forum for your camper also

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trailer weighs 6200 fully loaded with water. My tongue weight is 920 with the full water tank, and I have a payload of 1478 pounds. Family of five inflatable paddle boards and firewood in the truck, everything else in the trailer. My 17 expy pulls this load with ease uphill and down including mountain driving. I'm bumping right up against the payload and tongue weight limit but have plenty of spare room in the tow weight category. Admittedly my tongue weight is on the heavy side when I have a full water tank though. Use a quality 4 point sway control hitch like an equalizer or centerline TS and you'll be fine.

Rosko

Reaction score
I think you will probably be just fine. The fact that you are concerned with doing it right goes a long way, and probably indicates that you are a safer driver and worried about the safety of others.

I have a camper that is about 5670 dry weight, 33ft long, and I think the dry tongue is close to 600lbs....when I add 2 propane and 2 batteries, that goes up to almost 800. I have a 2017 expedition and it seems to handle it OK from the little towing I have tried with it.

The 2015-2017 expeditions don't have any trouble with power or stopping the load you want to tow, they are well designed in that regard, I think where you'll see them a little lacking is with the independent rear suspension. You are going to feel wiggle in the back even with weight distribution and sway control....at least that's my opinion of the IRS...having it on both a sequoia and expedition. It doesn't make it unsafe though, you just have to be a slightly more alert driver :).

madz

Reaction score
AdamNeedsInfo, did you end up getting the 289TBSS? How did it go? This is the exact same setup I'm looking to do so curious how it worked out.