how much oil do you get back when doing oil changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not worried about over or under filling. I'm worried about whether or not my engine is consuming more oil than whats considered normal.
You should know that before you drain the oil if you're checking your oil level consistently.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What ever happened to the days of checking the dipstick at every fuel fill up????

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer performs a oil consumption test. The vehicle is topped off and driven for 1000mi. It is then re-checked. One Quart or more, they warranty the engine. Anything less is considered normal. You are supposed to check oil on a regular basis, not at oil changes.

I buy cars used and have never had service done from a dealer. I do check the oil regularly....then when I do an oil change and have to dispose of the old oil it goes back into the empty oil containers and lets me put a number on how much oil is in the pan.

I've never heard the 1 quart or more consumed for every 1000 miles = warrantied engine. That would imply that Ford would say its normal to have to add as much as 5 quarts of oil (to retain a full 7 in the system) if you went on a 5,000 mile oil change interval. Seems like a lot to me.

You should know that before you drain the oil if you're checking your oil level consistently.

I would know whether or not I needed to add oil....I'd still have no idea if that was more or less than anyone else with the same engine though?

What ever happened to the days of checking the dipstick at every fuel fill up????
Seems to be a bit more than whats needed on most modern cars. I try to check at least once a month or so but certainly don't try to every fill up!

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your engine is taking oil, the first thing you need to change is the PCV valve. When they go bad, they can suck engine oil and burn it. PCV valves typically go back from sludge, which is caused by too long intervals of oil changes (especially when using non-fully synthetic oil).

Of course, in their infinite wisdom, Ford engineers deleted the option of an easily replaceable PCV valve on the 5.4L 3V, same as the "lifetime" fuel filter they hid inside the tank and the deletion of a trans fluid dipstick on later models... yet they forgot to re-engeneer the stock oil pump, cam phasers, timing tensioners and rocker arms so they wouldn't explode the engine over time!

(in other words they took away the useful stuff, but left the problems in there. Bravo!)

:bs:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I buy cars used and have never had service done from a dealer. I do check the oil regularly....then when I do an oil change and have to dispose of the old oil it goes back into the empty oil containers and lets me put a number on how much oil is in the pan.

I've never heard the 1 quart or more consumed for every 1000 miles = warrantied engine. That would imply that Ford would say its normal to have to add as much as 5 quarts of oil (to retain a full 7 in the system) if you went on a 5,000 mile oil change interval. Seems like a lot to me.

I would know whether or not I needed to add oil....I'd still have no idea if that was more or less than anyone else with the same engine though?

Seems to be a bit more than whats needed on most modern cars. I try to check at least once a month or so but certainly don't try to every fill up!
Correction: TSB 19-2058, 2018 5.0l oil consumption test. A complete oil and filter change, minus one qt. The dipstick is marked. Then the last qt is added and dipstick is marked again. The customer drives and checks weekly. When it hits the '1 quart low' mark, the mileage is checked. Below 3,000 mi is considered excessive. Over 3,000 is considered 'normal'. If under warranty, the long block is replaced. It involves removing everything on the engine and transferring to new block. On the F150, the body may have to be removed. Sounds like nightmare and trade in time.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Not sure this was an implied oil consumption/dilution question but as long as the oil shows between the marks on the dipstick it's good to go. Engine oil is consumed in use and dilution with gasoline also happens especially with forced induction engines.

As long as it stays between the marks on the dipstick it's good to go. Per my Owner's Manual:
Note: If the oil level is between the
maximum and minimum marks, the oil level
is acceptable. Do not add oil.

Rarely if ever added oil to my '07 5.4V8 and none for sure to the '17 3.5 EcoBoost. My '07 was driven daily and oil/filter changed per the 5000 mile maintenance schedule. The '17 will get her 3d change next March -- the "or 12 months whichever comes first" interval.

For my '17 engine oil level check is a monthly maintenance requirement (not every fuel fill). Review of the '17 Owners Manual specifies the oil level is properly checked 15 minutes after shutting down a completely warmed engine. I can't think of a single soul who does it this way. I just check it warm or cold.

Oil use is a constant topic with my "other car" (in my avatar). Owners manual for that car specifies an oil level check every fuel fill. Early engines in that car are known to burn 1qt/1000 miles or about every 3 fuel fills. (Mine later model does not.)

-- Chuck