Would love some folks thoughts on this, regarding oil changes on this engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been going to the dealer for an oil change since I’m under the gold certified warranty. I usually leave that oil in after the dealer changes it at max 2500 miles since it’s semi synthetic. I then change to a full synthetic SN or higher API rated oil like Penziol Platnium or Castrol Edge and run that for 4-5000 then back to the dealer. In the winter, if I do a lot of short trips or tow at anytime I’ll change it a little earlier. I’d rather change the oil a little early and happy to get under the truck as well to be sure all is OK than be stuck on the side of the highway with my kids and pets in the car. Diffs and transfer case fluid are also really important. Maintenance manual says 100k on transfer case and 150k on diffs but that’s nuts. More like 40-50k on transfer case (it’s so easy to do) and 60k max on diffs. I’ve used Ford fluids for them which is very good and the transfer case is Ford specific Mercon UL due to the clutch inside the unit. Coolant blew my mind. Only about a gallon and a half came out which is so little for this type set up. I’d love to go with a Mishimoto rad just for the extra size. The stock radiator is big but has no coolant volume for a 400hp vehicle. My vehicle had the orange coolant and I changed the it twice to get it all out and now using the yellow. The yellow is supposed to be better and backwards compatible per Ford.

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
Any synth that is the correct specification for the engine. Lots of people on this thread are running Mobile 1 which is what I use. But you CANNOT use the standard Mobile 1 as it is NOT WSS-M2C946-B1 rated. The only Mobile 1 is the EP (extended performance) which meets Fords requirements for the eco boost WSS-M2C946-B1.

This thread there are so many people with opinions on non synth, a blend or full synth and all makes of oil.
Per Ford spec in the USA you can run blended oil and in Canada they want you to use a non blended full synth and both must meet the WSS-M2C946-B1 spec.

They do not recommend non synth and I do not even know if there is non synth in the WSS-M2C946-B1 spec.

I think a lot of backyard mechanics choosing oil they think it best on not looking at the OIL SPEC number.
The only thing that matters is the OIL SPEC number and viscosity. Everything else is personal preference.

A lot of engine issues could be related to people just picking what oil they like and have used for 80 years and then yelling a Ford because a Turbo bearing locked up.
FYI, I snagged this Mobil 1 Advanced from Costco and it appears to meet the B1 spec.

Attachments

• 20230827_145201.jpg
    20230827_145201.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230827_145312.png
    20230827_145312.png
    815.4 KB · Views: 12

amtc

Reaction score
I use a motor craft filter and motor craft 5w30 synthetic blend. I change them on a 5k interval. If I’m not mistaken that is what Ford recommends.