How old is too old?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While in traffic, do you ever look at the different vehicles around you and figure which are newer than yours, which are about the same age and which are older?

I do.

And I gotta say, most of the vehicles I see are newer. But most of the ones about the same age or older seem to be trucks.

I'm in no way trying to "keep up with the Joneses". My 2 vehicles are a 2000 and a 1997. My wife does drive a 2012- but that's just because I don't want to have to be wrenching on 3 vehicles.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The mistake we all make is telling our ladies that we are mechanics. Once you do that, your hooked to spin those Snap-on wrenches the rest of your life. The other option is she marries a millionaire and they bring them to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Old is cool. Not all of us are rich. When my dad was still living, he had five cars - three austin minis 850cc a volkswagen beetle 1969 and a renault 1976 16TS. He loved old cars and once I asked him: why dont we get a brand new japanese car? And he said, well, the beetle was brand new when I got it.

Now my parents passed away and they left me with three cars -two 1958 austin minis and a volkswagen beetle 1200 cc engine and our home.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My second car was a 56 vw bug. I painted it royal blue, bigger wheels, cool car in its day. Only car that didn't stop, didn't go, didn't handle, but everybody else loved it. Sold it, later bought a first year Datsun 240z. That car did it all, stop, go, and looked real cool!

chipete

Reaction score
My second car was a 56 vw bug. I painted it royal blue, bigger wheels, cool car in its day. Only car that didn't stop, didn't go, didn't handle, but everybody else loved it. Sold it, later bought a first year Datsun 240z. That car did it all, stop, go, and looked real cool!

I have 98 eb with 198k him .I owned this truck for 6 yrs now and I only dropped about $600 in repairs and maintenance(that with the spring conversion kit). Towed my boat (19ft), Move just about a whole 3 bedroom duplex house, and the lists goes on.the "BIGBOY" As like call him is here to stay, but he might be getting a young girlfriend soon (toyota prius).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly I have a 2001 Pontiac Trans AM WS6 convertible, the 2000 Expy and a 2015 Explorer XLT. I like driving the new car, but at the end of the day I'm adding the few things to the Expy that will make it just fine. My TA I love but its a pain in the ass. Its only got 63K original miles on it but the top is shot, the seat foam is shot (can't find any aftermarket). Leather is going from the sun (can find aftermarket vinyl, not leather) and parts are hard to come by. The dash pad cracked all to hell like all Camaro's and TA's of that year. Cost me 400 bux for a replacment and when I snapped it into place the brittle dash cracked.

GM should have taken lessons from Ford on the plastics they used. I'm am utterly amazed at how pliable the plastic in the Expy is even after all this time. I don't worry about it breaking on me when I'm working on it. Now the paint on the dash could be better.....

I got the Expy for my son and he's complained a little about all the new trucks other peoples parents got them. BUt like I said, we can customize this one any way you like and we didn't start out paying 20-30K for it to start with.

Nick Greggs

Reaction score
miles and age mean nothing to me. upkeep is what i like to see. my 98 eddie i bought a month ago has 265k on it and i will rebuild when it becomes neccisary. with extra power of course but as long as you treat her right she will live forever

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My situation. I also concidered looking into replacing my expo as well. When I looked at the new ones, they run 60K or more for new one. I cannot afford a new one as well as the monthly mortgage payment on a vehicle.

However I purchased mine a year ago for 600.00 and started rebuilding it from frame up. I currently have about 17K into it. I have had mechanics do all the mechanical work and I did the interior.

New motor swap. from 98 to 2001 with 300HP $4,000.00 Installed
Pro-Charger Supercharger installed $5,000.00
Rebuilt Tranny $2,000.00 with high performance torch converter.
New custom exhaust $1000.00 (Dual Exhaust with headers and flow master mufflers. I also replaced all 4 cats)
Compete Brake system replacement. Booster, Master Cylinder, Calapers, pads and routers $1000.00
New custom rims and tires $1200.00
Rear End upgrade from 331 to 373 positraction $1500.00

Interior refurbish $500.00
Interior ReUpolster (two tone grey and black) $1200.00

Still need paint job.

However, I have a truck that is now basically brand new and will last another 20 years as there is no rust what so ever on this beast.
with no car payment, even if gas goes to $4 a gallon I'm still ahead

I tow now with no issues up and down hills with ease.

I really love this truck. They don't make them like this anymore.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with taking a 300 k mile SUV or car, and rebuilding every inch of it, is when your done rebuilding, or replacing everything, you still have a 20 year old frame, body and all the squeaks and rattles that go with it. Me I found that if I do my homework, be patient, and find a low mileage example, it usually works out better. You end up paying more in the beginning, but if your keeping her stock, seems to be more cost effective. My 2000 expedition had 64k on it 2years ago when I bought it. Except for an idler arm, and pitman arm, just maintenance items. I've done it the other way, high mileage, low price, it needed everything. But that's just me. Here in San Francisco, they say that once the painters get finished painting the Golden Gate Bridge, they have to start at the other end and re paint again. Kinda like cars/trucks!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When u can't find parts or are constantly doing repairs then u let it go...

Mr. 10K

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69