How to keep all lights off even with doors open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
Stepboard lights and internal lights illuminate when doors are open.

Is there a way to prevent them from turning on?

Sometimes we just want some doors open when parked outdoors but dont need the lights and would rather they stay off.

1999 xlt.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stepboard lights and internal lights illuminate when doors are open.

Is there a way to prevent them from turning on?

Sometimes we just want some doors open when parked outdoors but dont need the lights and would rather they stay off.

1999 xlt.

I can’t help you with your Expedition - sorry. But, you may want to contemplate installing a shut-off switch on the negative battery terminal and post. It would take a little effort, and you’d lose the stored memory features - but it is an option.

I bought a new 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan LE. If you rotated the headlamp switch (a push-pull switch) counterclockwise until it clicked, it shut off ALL interior and exterior lights. I used the feature often, such as when cleaning the inside, removing a seat, etc. I always thought it was a very clever feature, and it was the only vehicle in over 50 years of driving that had the feature. Unless you were aware of the feature, you’d have no idea how it worked.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try turning the dash light dimmer knob all the way down below dim. I seem to remember that there's a detent that should shut the dome lights.
Sad to say but, That feature did not appear on the expeditions until 2nd gen.
My Sister (has 04) rubs that in my face all the time.

Best bet is to have jumper box handy when cleaning or working with the doors open. They do cut off after a while but any change in doors open or closing turns light back on.

I usually take for a 20 min ride after having doors open and that charges it back up.
Or you can pull the fuses for the lights i remember trying that but it was such a hassle i only do it if doors will be open overnight.

OP
OP
R

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
oh cool, thank you for sharing.

yeah, only had a detent towards bright side of control wheel.

no detent towards dim to turn off.

i can live with it, just checking if there were undocumented features.

FoothillsJim

Reaction score
Like YupsterDog, I pull the fuse under the dash. Just takes a few seconds once you get used to it. You do end up with a the dash coverplate, fuse box cover, fuse, and fuse puller (in the dash coverplate) to keep somewhere - which can be an issue if you or others are going in and out while car camping, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1