How to make automatic headlight sensor more sensitive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone have a trick to make the automatic headlight sensor on the dash more sensitive? I used to keep a hat on my dash to cover the sensor, but then they would be on all the time.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont clean the sensor with window cleaner because it leaves a film. And clean the windshield thoroughly finishing off with detailers clay.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked online but saw nothing. You might try a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on a clean rag or towel. It dries quickly and shouldn't damage it. It's what I used to use to clean tape heads on cassette tape decks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think his sensor is malfunctioning due to dust/ dirt, and wants it to work proper again. Personally I think he's got a malfunction in his system. If it's like a dirty cd laser lens, maybe cleaning would help, probably not, but don't think alcohol could hurt, could be wrong. It always made me see headlights clearer!

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish?
I would like the auto lights to turn on when it is overcast, like in the situation of a thunderstorm.

The sensor works fine other than I feel it should be sensitive enough to turn on in lower light situations.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like the auto lights to turn on when it is overcast, like in the situation of a thunderstorm.

The sensor works fine other than I feel it should be sensitive enough to turn on in lower light situations.
Probably nothing internal unless you can put a resistor or something inline but I have no idea what resistance to use, but you might try some window tint film. That would lower the amount of light that the sensor sees and should make it come on when it is overcast outside, particularly when it's raining.

The new trucks have a feature that turns on the headlights after the wipers have activated for 30 seconds. It is a nice feature. I don't know if it can be retrofitted.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try cleaning it with q tips very carefully along with some alcohol. Theirs probably some crud on the q tip after your done. It may be that what you've got is as good as it gets.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try cleaning it with q tips very carefully along with some alcohol. Theirs probably some crud on the q tip after your done. It may be that what you've got is as good as it gets.

I think he wants it to see less light not more. He wants it to turn on when it is overcast or raining. He said it does work fine for turning on the headlights under normal conditions.

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably nothing internal unless you can put a resistor or something inline but I have no idea what resistance to use, but you might try some window tint film. That would lower the amount of light that the sensor sees and should make it come on when it is overcast outside, particularly when it's raining.

The new trucks have a feature that turns on the headlights after the wipers have activated for 30 seconds. It is a nice feature. I don't know if it can be retrofitted.
I like the tint idea, a lot less technical than trial and error with the electrical.

Thanks for the responses everyone.