Hypermiling the 3.5.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know I’ve been trusting the lie-o-meter and probably should actually calculate it myself. Not sure what my gearing is...I have a 2015 Limited EL with the heavy duty tow package. Keep in mind I was driving obnoxiously slow (55 in a 60 zone) but there were two lanes and no traffic so I didn’t interfere with anyone else’s drive that day. Obviously A/C wasn’t running, and this isn’t a cumulative number from several days of driving, I literally reset the meter when I left that morning and took that photo while still on the hwy before I had to exit and do some minor city driving to my destination. This is the best possible scenario. At one point when the roads were really empty, I even folded my power mirrors in for about an hour to see if it changed the numbers at all. It didn’t. What I did notice though was that when it was getting dark, my headlights turned on and that appeared to cost me .3 mpg consistently according to the meter. Maybe from the added alternator load? Maybe coincidence? Another date point: I’m running BFG KO2’s at around 55psi.

aa6d9a5ac688c11140006732b2f0be1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I rented a 2wd 2017 over the summer for a week. I saw 23-24 MPG. My 17 EL 4WD is still breaking in, so I don't see above 20 very often yet... The Ecoboost motor is hands down more efficient then the best my 05 5.4 ever did... lots more power too.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know I’ve been trusting the lie-o-meter and probably should actually calculate it myself. Not sure what my gearing is...I have a 2015 Limited EL with the heavy duty tow package. Keep in mind I was driving obnoxiously slow (55 in a 60 zone) but there were two lanes and no traffic so I didn’t interfere with anyone else’s drive that day. Obviously A/C wasn’t running, and this isn’t a cumulative number from several days of driving, I literally reset the meter when I left that morning and took that photo while still on the hwy before I had to exit and do some minor city driving to my destination. This is the best possible scenario. At one point when the roads were really empty, I even folded my power mirrors in for about an hour to see if it changed the numbers at all. It didn’t. What I did notice though was that when it was getting dark, my headlights turned on and that appeared to cost me .3 mpg consistently according to the meter. Maybe from the added alternator load? Maybe coincidence? Another date point: I’m running BFG KO2’s at around 55psi.

You have 3.73 gears

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rented a 2wd 2017 over the summer for a week. I saw 23-24 MPG. My 17 EL 4WD is still breaking in, so I don't see above 20 very often yet... The Ecoboost motor is hands down more efficient then the best my 05 5.4 ever did... lots more power too.

An 05 had a 4 speed with two less high gears. The 3rd gens have a six speed and our engines can loaf at a lower rpm when at speed.

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
True, but I am finding that the 3.5 does not rev as low as my 5.4 did in OD... Both trucks had the heavy duty tow w/3.73. Not sure what the OD ratio is but the 5.4 definitely revved lower at speed as far as I remember :)

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
2wd will have 2-3 mpg better regardless

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score

55psi? Must be one hell of a rough ride. I run my 35 Ridge grapplers are 40psi and Thts even cutting it close

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but I am finding that the 3.5 does not rev as low as my 5.4 did in OD... Both trucks had the heavy duty tow w/3.73. Not sure what the OD ratio is but the 5.4 definitely revved lower at speed as far as I remember :)

The 3.5 is only rated 1 MPG better highway with conservative driving, it can easily be lower with a hard driver. My 5.4 sits a 1,750 rpm at speed and gets 17-18 MPG.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
WOW. just curious what your actual miles driven/gallons to fill computed to? I keep a spreadsheet.
that's my true barometer as sometimes my "lie o meter" is conservative, thus it could have been more.
thanks for sharing.
Computer may say 500 something miles to empty but with normal daily driving tour probably looking at closer to high 300s low 400s

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
The 3.5 is only rated 1 MPG better highway with conservative driving, it can easily be lower with a hard driver. My 5.4 sits a 1,750 rpm at speed and gets 17-18 MPG.

We'll see what the calculation is once my mill is broken in... My 05 NEVER saw 20 MPG on the highway. Maybe down hill... Granted, I can't say if the 2 different trip computers are spot on with their calibrations. But my bigger heavier truck and far more powerful 3.5 are already getting better numbers and the rings aren't even bedded in yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett