Hypermiling the 3.5.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see what the calculation is once my mill is broken in... My 05 NEVER saw 20 MPG on the highway. Maybe down hill... Granted, I can't say if the 2 different trip computers are spot on with their calibrations. But my bigger heavier truck and far more powerful 3.5 are already getting better numbers and the rings aren't even bedded in yet.

My 5.4 is plenty powerful for me and gets good MPG, and I prefer it to today’s powertrain choice. No boost pressure to deal with and a cast iron block with good heat dissipation, lower stress, no DI issues blah blah blah you know where I’m going. Both have ups and downs but for a gasoline powertrain I think ten naturally aspirated engine is a better platform, for me at least.

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Your new truck is far from “far more powerful” than your 2005 lol. My 5.4 is plenty powerful for me and my other truck has 860 FT LBS of torque.

We all know you can't stand the 3.5... I get it, I'm a V8 guy by heart too. I thought the 5.4 was adequate as well until I drove the 17.

That being said, what do you call an increase of 65 HP (300-365) & 60 Tq (365-420)?
A roots blower on my otherwise stock 5.4 would have likely resulted in similar #'s... I definitely call that far more powerful; especially when you take into consideration the smaller displacement.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all know you can't stand the 3.5... I get it, I'm a V8 guy by heart too. I thought the 5.4 was adequate as well until I drove the 17.

That being said, what do you call an increase of 65 HP (300-365) & 60 Tq (365-420)?
A roots blower on my otherwise stock 5.4 would have likely resulted in similar #'s... I definitely call that far more powerful; especially when you take into consideration the smaller displacement.

A blower on the 5.4 produces 504-515 FT LBs of torque, but that would defeat the whole purpose of my edited message with my reasoning ;). 60 horses/torque is really nothing. I’m wayyyyy off track on this thread LOL. Bottom line is all the 3rd gens are pretty close on the fuel consumption when running correctly, that was my point. People are always quick to bash the modular V8 but they are great engines.

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
There are definitely pros and cons to both... I have 2,100 miles on my truck. The F150 Forum has many threads on the 3.5 oil analysis showing a significant drop off of fuel in the oil up near 10K miles.

If you have a few spare minutes, take a look at this:
I was impressed with what they threw at this motor in R&D.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea but they made fun V8 videos too, that also had great points like these. Can we take their word on any of it with their own tests? I can’t watch that full vid till later. The fuel economy is close on both, on one your forcing extra air through and adding boost and one has two extra cylinders, they are closer than we think. A lot of people seem to forget “power” is not the most important aspect of a powertrain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jski, the ride isn’t rough at all...if you have a friend with KO2’s take a ride in his truck. They are hands down the best rubber I’ve ever invested in on my trucks. Rated for 65psi with a full load. The ride at 55 is medium firm but certainly not rough. Trust me, my preggo wife would have complained lol.

The way I typically drive my truck when not hypermiling I get around 15mpg. Thats city and hwy mixed as well as driving 80-85 mph on the interstate and some hard stomps because I love my snails. [emoji222] [emoji222]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Jski, the ride isn’t rough at all...if you have a friend with KO2’s take a ride in his truck. They are hands down the best rubber I’ve ever invested in on my trucks. Rated for 65psi with a full load. The ride at 55 is medium firm but certainly not rough. Trust me, my preggo wife would have complained lol.

The way I typically drive my truck when not hypermiling I get around 15mpg. Thats city and hwy mixed as well as driving 80-85 mph on the interstate and some hard stomps because I love my snails. [emoji222] [emoji222]

Gotcha yeah mine are 80psi max so I run 40 all around since I don’t haul. You on 275/55s?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Curious what your snails are? Is that slang for turbo?

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
55psi? Must be one hell of a rough ride. I run my 35 Ridge grapplers are 40psi and Thts even cutting it close

I thought the same thing lol. I have Michelin Defenders on mine and they're E rated to 80 psi. Anything over 55psi and they'll rattle the teeth out of your mouth. I run them at 45psi and the ride is much better. When towing I raise em way up of course and with a load they are fine.