I did it... Bought the beast! Makes my Expy look small!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice Excursion! It seems huge now but you’ll get used to it in no time. When I first got my Expedition EL it seemed like a bus compared to my regular expy. It’s almost easier to drive the longer wheelbase because it reacts more predictabley parking. Eddie Bauer is one of my favorites. Gotta love two tone exteriors!
9CA880EA-A6DA-4AD5-80E3-91E1A0B4C0D4.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I believe 08-16 Super Duty mirrors will bolt up as well as the older styles. I believe the bolt pattern is the same.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Another tip: If the thing wanders on the road and you've checked everything in the front end, look at the read spring snubbers. These break/fall off and the rear end wanders right/left as the leafs wrap up unevenly. Can drive you nuts keeping the thing straight down the road...

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another tip: If the thing wanders on the road and you've checked everything in the front end, look at the read spring snubbers. These break/fall off and the rear end wanders right/left as the leafs wrap up unevenly. Can drive you nuts keeping the thing straight down the road...
Is that only when you're towing or heavily loaded?? Mine never see the rubbers unless there's a lot of weight in it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my Excursions.
They do handle a little differently than Factory ones. Lol

Screenshot_2019-02-19-15-14-17-2.png

SUV.jpg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Is that only when you're towing or heavily loaded??

Mine would wonder terribly on the highway loader or unloaded. Much worse when loaded. Tried everything I could with the front end and steering box. Apparently while wallowing down the highway over bumps and waves, the rear springs would wrap up unevenly steering the rear axle because the "anti-wrap snubbers" had disappeared years ago. That was a 2000 with a one-year-only blue interior.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine would wonder terribly on the highway loader or unloaded. Much worse when loaded. Tried everything I could with the front end and steering box. Apparently while wallowing down the highway over bumps and waves, the rear springs would wrap up unevenly steering the rear axle because the "anti-wrap snubbers" had disappeared years ago. That was a 2000 with a one-year-only blue interior.
That's weird and doesn't make a lot of sense. It would seem possibly shocks could cause more of an issue. You could go out and take my rubber snubbers off and it's not going to make a difference in less you're heavily loaded.
I remember hearing stories about old cars with leaf springs that if they were overloaded they would never come back up to the proper ride height. Maybe if this happened and it was riding low or past where the snubbers should have been it could cause this.
Unless mine are somehow different because they are stretches.
There should be two or three in sometimes more between the end of the rubber snubber on the top of the leaf or spring mount.
The only time I mine have ever touched or been on the rubber snubbers is if it was extremely full. That's only been once or twice ever.
I don't see how you were as being missing could have possibly affected the ride or the ride height.
If they are gone and you load it past where they would be touching then that's where you can run into a difference I feel and could possibly damage the leaf springs from them bending too far.
Wierd.
Maybe it's just one of those things like I tell people... Never say anything is impossible. You mess around with things long enough you will see things that make absolutely no sense but you know for a fact they occurred.

Bob Lewis

Reaction score
Well, I did it, I bought myself an Excursion! It's a 2003 Eddie Bauer 6.0 diesel, and let me tell you, it's a BEAST! Way quicker than I would have imagined for being so Damn heavy and big. Will be time to sell my Expedition in a few weeks. Sorry to see it go, but this one has been nightmare after nightmare!

View attachment 33279
She looks good! I remember one time, doing microwave oven service calls, I came to a house and the guy had 2 Epys and an
Excursion. I mentioned that the Excursion was great looking and he said he didn't realize that it wouldn't fit in his garage. LOL

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was limo company in our area, with a stretched Excursion, that crashed. A whole family was killed. They think it was overloaded and lost control on a steep hill.
Yes. Oct 6, 2018 Schoharie.
Most deadly transportation crash since 2009 if you count air travel and worst on the roadway since 2005.
Lots of reasons for the crash and the fact that it killed everyone.
It was an old beat up rusted out limo that had needed numerous repairs and already had brake system problems that probably weren't repaired properly.
Reports say also the exhaust was in terrible condition and it was loud as could be.
Doesn't sound like they had an experienced driver and driver was not supposed to be driving Vehicles of that capacity.
That, on top of a very dangerous road that has had lots of accidents culminated into a very terrible situation.
I'm still very surprised the driver wasn't able to at least slow the vehicle down somewhat with the parking brake or gearing it down with the transmission which I'm guessing he probably didn't even know how to do to slow it down to a more reasonable speed where not everyone was killed.
Most people do not wear seat belts in limousines even when they're there and laid out on the seats but with that many people in a vehicle just like in a bus just the people in the front would create some sort of cushioning effect to the people piling into them.
Not counting the driver and the two people in the parking lot who were killed but when I saw the everyone in the rear of the limousine was killed I assumed it had to be an extreme rate of speed, striking a very solid object, or head and neck injuries.
If you go airborne or bounce a vehicle hard enough or knock the front end down into something and throw everyone up into the roof you're probably going to cause more injuries and more severities than them all being thrown forward into each other. A situation where seatbelts would easily prevent you from being thrown into the roof.
But yes, that was an Excursion. I was kind of surprised that it wasn't a Hummer since there are more Stretch Hummer SUVs than any other model.