I did it... Bought the beast! Makes my Expy look small!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
Excellent! After getting an Expedition, I finally understood it all and desired an Excursion ever since!

FRD88

Reaction score
I sold my 01 7.3L Excursion and purchased my Expedition. I miss it regularly, about the same gas mileage but more room with WAY more power.
upload_2019-11-25_10-20-1.png

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No other vehicle could do what the excursions can do. It's a shame they quit making them but sales go in Cycles. Remember just a few years back but I guess it's almost 20 now people were mad as can be about big SUVs and the H2 Hummers running around the roads. There was a group setting fire to SUVs on parking lots because all the harm they did to the environment! Not like you know burning a car and gas and stuff is bad for the environment anyting but they were doing that.
people were screaming about how deadly they were when one of them ran into you in a normal car. I remember all this crap and was complaining about all these complainers back then. If you want to be really safe then go buy a big SUV and drive around. Don't buy a smart car and claim that some big car is going to hurt you more in an accident. Plus, the facts show that it's not just the size of the vehicle that helps you or hurt you in a crash.

SUVs have actually taken over now, what do you want to call them crossovers SUVs or cuvs
Oh, I think that's what they're calling me now. There are plenty of choices for large ones but those are not the ones that are dominating the market. It seems the mid-sized like CRV, Explorer, Toyota 4Runner dr. All the ones dominating the common size of one's on the road.
There are still a ton of expeditions, Escalades, Yukons, Suburbans, and Navigators being sold every year.
I think a lot of people should consider picking up a nice used decent mile Excursion. There are a good number out there and some of them if you get into the warmer climate states are absolutely rust-free.
I just bought a 2003 that's been its entire life in Louisville Kentucky which is only 3 hours or so for me. It was absolutely rust-free like a six-month-old car underneath. The interior was it 9 + on a scale of 1 to 10. The seats we're perfect with no tears in them or where marks only a little bit of the paint was wearing off on the dash and the radio control knobs and shifter but the steering wheel was absolutely perfect. Carpet perfect like brand new like there has never been anyone or anybody in it even in the back area.
There's plenty out there and I got this one for 300 below Kelley Blue Book and if you look around enough you can get them a lot cheaper than that.
The 6.8 V10 is an excellent motor as long as you change your oil and they are almost as powerful as the diesel. You can't tell a difference weather they are empty or if they're fully loaded with the AC on. They have tons of power.
The reason most people don't buy them is because they are too big. When you get in one and drive it they often do feel like a behemoth. Unless you absolutely need the space, you can do just as much with an easier to drive and maneuver slightly smaller SUV.
I will always love the excursions though. King of the SUVs.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
Still have my 2002 7.3L Limited leather in mineral grey. Purchased it new and I'm the one owner.

Less than 170K miles on it. Hardly a month goes by that someone doesn't offer me at least $25K for my not-for-sale Excursion.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still have my 2002 7.3L Limited leather in mineral grey. Purchased it new and I'm the one owner.

Less than 170K miles on it. Hardly a month goes by that someone doesn't offer me at least $25K for my not-for-sale Excursion.
25k now that's a lot. I'd have to take that. Lol
But I know the feeling. Nothing can replace a good Excursion.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score

I'm told that 2002 was the final model half-year featuring the 7.3L. Guess mine was one of the last off the line - to turn a racing phrase on its head.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score

I'm told that 2002 was the final model half-year featuring the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo-Diesel. Guess mine was one of the last off the line - to turn a racing phrase on its head.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm told that 2002 was the final model half-year featuring the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo-Diesel. Guess mine was one of the last off the line - to turn a racing phrase on its head.

Early 2003's had the 7.3 still, late build 2003's had the 6.0. I have a late build 2003, and yes it's a 6.0. They get a bad rap in my opinion. As long as you don't mod the shit out of them, and try and put a monster tune into them, they are just fine. I won't be putting a tuner in mine. The only thing I will probably do is get a set of airbags for the rear when I get a newer/bigger travel trailer. Mine is only 33' long now and has a GVWR of 7600, so that's nothing for it. Looking forward to spring to hitch it up and start pulling.

BTW, I did the back flush of the oil cooler and now my deltas are less than a 5° spread. I'm very happy with those numbers!

Mommas car

Reaction score
I know plenty of people who never miss treated their 6.0 they still blew up. If it hasn’t been bulletproof for get it done

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Facts. Pffft. What a sissy. If you were a real man you’d only use emotion!

You use the emotion right before the crash because your not wearing a seat belt anyway!

I did drive my 49 Lincoln Cosmopolitan a while back and wasn't breaking the law as I normally do since it didn't come with seat belts and never had any installed.
Big heavy metal tank. Tape some pillows to your head or wear a helmet...and put a pillow in front of chest cause that steering wheel is gonna hurt....and crash away.
Pitty the fool you crash into also though.