I have cam phaser issue :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the tech in this video said the same thing the tech said that I talked to. Just makes a noise and doesn't hurt anything.
In that case, Ford is dumping a ton of money into an issue that doesn't cause any problems... Sucks either way.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was before the updated parts were released I would completely understand not wanting to tear your engine apart. Now that there are updated parts I'd want it fixed. How many engines do you think they have torn apart that they are sure have had the issue for an extended period? Broken plastic inside an engine is not something I'd bet money on... But I'm also basing this on no real knowledge.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What months/years does this affect? I haven’t paid too much attention but I will if it’s something I need to listen for.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What months/years does this affect? I haven’t paid too much attention but I will if it’s something I need to listen for.
What I have heard is that it has affected every ecoboost 3.5L that has been around. The older models also had it from what I have been told.

Has anyone seen the updated parts? It sounds like this has been a long term issue for Ford. Is that piece still just plastic and its just gonna happen again but take longer to happen? (ie once the warranty is up?)

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No cam phaser problems YET in my 2018 XLT but I don’t even have 19k on it yet. Warranty runs out in March 2021. Anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit regarding this issue to extend warranty repairs?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No cam phaser problems YET in my 2018 XLT but I don’t even have 19k on it yet. Warranty runs out in March 2021. Anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit regarding this issue to extend warranty repairs?
From what I hear, there is no damage that can occur as a result of this and it is only a brief noise until oil pressure locks it in place. It would be tough to sue someone for damages when there is technically nothing wrong with it, just a brief rattle noise. The part that is going bad is only there to prevent the rattle noise until oil pressure builds.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019, with 12k had them replaced,
The tech that did the job is a pro at them by now.

He did a flawless job b/c he does so many of the.

I would take in the truck and have them replaced.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the updated parts became available Aug-Sept '19 for the production line and Oct to dealers... So everything but 2020 models will have the old parts.