I have cam phaser issue :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford should have just let them rattle from the beginning. It could have been the signature sound of the EcoBoost and saved so many people from headache and fear of the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
April 8th of 19 was the cutoff for having updated stuff in it from factory. That’s what it says on the recall page at nhtsa or dot or whatever.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford should have just let them rattle from the beginning. It could have been the signature sound of the EcoBoost and saved so many people from headache and fear of the motor.

The mountain of lemon law buy backs probably made that decision for them...

At these price points I don't know many who would tolerate an engine that sound like it's lunching itself no matter what the dealer says. Especially on a new generation of vehicle. That is a quick way to send people back to their non turbo GM with tried and true LS...

@Dice Roll
Glad to hear the new parts made it to the production line sooner. I wonder if the fail rates on 19s compare to 18s?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same question: is this just an annoying rattle or will it become a bigger problem later?

Everything I have been able to find says it is just an annoying rattle and will not become a bigger problem. It only lasts a few seconds at startup (sometimes), only if it has been sitting for 6+ hours it seems. I honestly don't hear it unless the window is open, or a door is open. Based on my experience only, I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. My hemi had exhaust leaks that seemed to happen no matter what was done. Replaced the manifolds and studs several times and within a year or so a stud would snap and it would be noisy again.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think it harms anything but it’s very annoying. Mine got worse as time went by. Started with a slight noise After sitting for 12+ hours and progressed to a pretty loud clatter for a few seconds after sitting just a couple hours. Mine started making slight sounds around 15k miles and I didn’t get it fixed until 30k. I waited that long as there wasn’t a “fix” until then. I didn’t notice any performance or mileage changes after vs before they were fixed.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
From what I hear, there is no damage that can occur as a result of this and it is only a brief noise until oil pressure locks it in place. It would be tough to sue someone for damages when there is technically nothing wrong with it, just a brief rattle noise. The part that is going bad is only there to prevent the rattle noise until oil pressure builds.
If nothing wrong, why would Ford fix vehicles under warranty? Cadillac ruined there reputation with the Northstar.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If nothing wrong, why would Ford fix vehicles under warranty? Cadillac ruined there reputation with the Northstar.

Well, technically, there is something wrong, a part is bad and it rattles. However, there is a pretty broad issue with rattling heat shields on the F150 and I have hear of people getting that fixed. Again, that is much more annoying as it apparently doesn't go away after 3 seconds. A heat shield isn't a serious issue but they fix it?

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is back! Sounds like absolute shit for a good 30 seconds - 1 minute after a cold start and it's getting louder as well. To make things worse the vista sunroof started creaking a couple of days ago.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Well, technically, there is something wrong, a part is bad and it rattles. However, there is a pretty broad issue with rattling heat shields on the F150 and I have hear of people getting that fixed. Again, that is much more annoying as it apparently doesn't go away after 3 seconds. A heat shield isn't a serious issue but they fix it?
Hello? A loose HEAT SHIELD, is a safety issue.