Ignition Free Spin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My key free spins around with no resistance at all. The truck is stuck in the "on" position. The shifter also has no resistance but the linkage to the transmissikn is unhooked by the tow driver. I stuck a screwdriver in the solenoid and the truck turned over but it didnt start. Ive been told about a neutral safety switch but dont know much about this. Ive already replaced the ignition cylinder. What is wrong with it?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got to hook up the transmission linkage first. If after everything is connected, you still have nothing, doubtful, then you'll have to pull column, and key switch. How did this problem start? Was this a theft recovery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the ignition just spins around, then it's faulty. If you pull it out you can see how it works with the key. It shouldn't just spin.

With every neutral safety switch I've ever dealt with, it wouldn't even engage the starter. That's the point of it. It will only start in neutral or park. If it thinks it's in gear, the starter wouldn't even spin.