Ignition key does not start 2006 EB, 5.4 3v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George Gergely

Reaction score
i had my trans rebuilt and the test drive was very good, until... For no reason, the Expedition totally shut down. The ignition key would not restart the vehicle. Turning the key would light up all the dash lights, as it should. No clicking or any sign of anything. The vehicle was towed back to the transmission shop. A second key, my wife's, was tried and still nothing. The battery read a full charge. I have never had an issue like this. It seems the key fob chip isn't being recognized from either key, though it always has before. Any suggestions on correcting the problem?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Your post indicates the transmission shop is going to diagnose the "no-start".
The key is only part of the anti theft system and will tell the pcm if the vehicle is being started by an authorized key. It does not disable the starting circuit. The engine will turn but not run unless the key has been programmed to the pcm.

Since nothing is happening when you turn the key, your problem is electrical.

If you are going to diagnose it we can help, if the shop is then sit back and see what they find.

OP
OP
G

George Gergely

Reaction score
Thanks stamp 11127 for the reply. The original codes for the problem were B1600 and B1602, both having to due with the key fob chip not being read. The technician found the fault in the aftermarket remote starting wires under the dash loose or not right. Seeing that the aftermarket remote start never worked with my wife and I, it was never used. The technician disconnected the remote start and the starting problem disappeared and the ignition keys starts the vehicle every time. His test drive of 20-25 miles after the disconnection was uneventful with no issues.

If this post is complete with the issue solved, how do I end it?