Install OEM brake controller on my 2017 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjpinub

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions for everyone.

Are there any gotchas with putting in the controller? That is, will I have any problems installing the controller and driving it to the dealership to program the TBC? I know I can use ForScan, but I get weary doing that when it is still under extended warranty.

Does anyone have the parts list for converting the factory 4-pin to a factory 7-pin?

Did anyone find a good write-up on converting the 4-pin to a 7-pin?

Gidds

Reaction score
When I converted mine, there was a blue wire for connecting the brake assist. Everything else was pretty simple as well aside from Ford not having the programming for the computer. I just used Forscan and it set up really easy.

For the 4pin to 7 pin, I bought the converter from O'Reilly and brought the whole thing to a local trailer dealer and they professionally installed it for me for $40.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score

bjpinub

Reaction score
Thank you all for the follow-ups. One more question. When I look for the part number Pyle suggested (FL1Z-2C006-D), it looks different than the one in the pictures. Based on that part number, it looks like the +/- gain buttons are above the slider, not to the right as in the picture. Am I missing something else? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make sure to order the correct part.

The image for the part Pyle suggested is: https://www.fairwayfordparts.net/oem-parts/ford-module-fl1z2c006d

Is it possible the part used is the same from an F-150? Even when I look at CarGurus for a 2017 XLT with the towing package it has the same controller Pyle suggested. So I am not sure why I am seeing a different image.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you all for the follow-ups. One more question. When I look for the part number Pyle suggested (FL1Z-2C006-D), it looks different than the one in the pictures. Based on that part number, it looks like the +/- gain buttons are above the slider, not to the right as in the picture. Am I missing something else? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make sure to order the correct part.

The image for the part Pyle suggested is: https://www.fairwayfordparts.net/oem-parts/ford-module-fl1z2c006d

Is it possible the part used is the same from an F-150? Even when I look at CarGurus for a 2017 XLT with the towing package it has the same controller Pyle suggested. So I am not sure why I am seeing a different image.

I ordered that exact part # for my 2017 XLT 4/5/19. Not sure about the discrepancies you’re seeing, but I know it was a plug and play install, and works.

bjpinub

Reaction score
I ordered that exact part # for my 2017 XLT 4/5/19. Not sure about the discrepancies you’re seeing, but I know it was a plug and play install, and works.
Langer, what does your controller look like? The one Pyle posted for the 2017 had the +/- gain buttons to the right of the slider, but the one I keep finding has the buttons under the slider. Also, where did you get yours from?

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got mine off fordpartsgiant.com
I believe the buttons are to the left of the slider, I’ll double check and update.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
That's what it looks like in my '17 with HD Tow.

I read (somewhere :) ) that all the wiring to the back is there, just tucked in behind the panels and bumper and there's a blue wire "blunt cut and dipped" for the brakes. Just need to connect the wires to the right connector at the back of the truck. The white multi-pole connector brake connector where the brake controller plugs in should be behind the lower dash.

-- Chuck

bjpinub

Reaction score
I have ordered the part Pyle suggested. Here is hoping they send the right one. I guess my next step is to look at 4-prong to 7-prong thread. On a side note, has anyone used a Bluetooth adapter when using Forscan? I purchased one to work with my phone when I made some changes to our BMW. I know I can pair it to my laptop, but I wasn't sure if Forscan would work with a Bluetooth adapter or if it required a USB adapter.