Install OEM brake controller on my 2017 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm highly impressed with the Ford brake controller.

Not a whole lot other than what I noted that can be done with Forscan on the Expedition as it lacks some of the modules that other Fords have but activating the brake controller consists of changing two digits in the ECU and has been documented here.

Forgot I also activated the Engine Hour Counter on the dash display. Just for curiosity. Shows engine idle hours which is a surprisingly number but the car has remote start and I've been using it. It may be possible to activate remote start but you need the appropriate key or fob -- since I have it I didn't investigate.

I'm looking for a way to shut off the power outlets with the ignition but without success so far.

-- Chuck

Tim Krueger

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the info. You saved me a lot of time over the videos I found on youtube taking the whole dash apart. I'm looking for a good 7 pin connector write up. Might be done when you answer, but if you have a recommendation, please let me know. Thanks again!

intense98neon

Reaction score
I added the 7 pin connector, only attaching the original 4 wires and then the brake controller. I did not need the aux power at the trailer.

Tim Krueger

Reaction score
Thank you for the write up. I got mine installed! Only thing that slowed me down was I kept attempting to use IPC without the "As BUILT Format." Once I used the right line, it all went well. Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Last edited:

carlenorris

Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions with the pictures it madethe install quite easy. Now just to figure out how to get the power back to the 7 way plug.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Pretty sure * all the power and light wires are back there. Probably hidden inside one of the access panels on either side. You need fuses and relays in the underhood power box as well.

* Pretty sure 'cuz I've never bought a truck or SUV without the factory HD Tow option.

-- Chuck

DExpy17

Reaction score
thanks to all the hard work put in by everyone esle, I just got my factory brake controller in and working. I I love ForScan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DExpy17

Reaction score
Just got my OEM brake controller installed and working. Cant wait to use it Sunday to see how much better it responds compared to the aftermarket timed controller. Thanks all for your hard work. So easy a plumber can do it. That doesn't say much for the Ford Service department that could not.