Install OEM brake controller on my 2017 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s possible to use, but when changing code everyone I’ve seen on here is generally gun-shy, because of the possibility of connection loss issues.

this is what a lot of people have, I’m sure there are plenty similar.

OHP ELMconfig FORScan OBD2 USB Adapter for Windows, Ford Diagnostic ELM327 Coding Tool with MS-CAN / HS-CAN Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6v5vFbNTNQRQ4

srfrcrux

Reaction score
2017 Ford Expedition XLT EL.
Looking to install Brake Controller.
Is this the only OEM controller (OEM FL1Z-2C006-D) that will work?
Thank you

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
An aftermarket brake controller should work in theory but the OEM controller is superior in every way in my use plus it's sitting right in front of me and displays useful information on the instrument panel. I believe several folks here have added it seemingly as easily as extracting the coin bin, snapping in the controller, and plugging it in.

Guys who've done it will probably respond. May take Forscan but your dealer can certainly so it with no effort on your part other than handing them your credit card. :)

One handy thing about the Ford controller is it keeps track of the mileage on your trailer and can be set to do this for several trailers.

-- Chuck

srfrcrux

Reaction score
An aftermarket brake controller should work in theory but the OEM controller is superior in every way in my use plus it's sitting right in front of me and displays useful information on the instrument panel. I believe several folks here have added it seemingly as easily as extracting the coin bin, snapping in the controller, and plugging it in.....-- Chuck
Thank you much. I ordered an OEM brake controller today

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed the OEM brake controller in my 2015 XLT back in July 2019. I used part FL1Z-2C006-D. I activated it with Forscan Its been a while but here are my notes

Installed Trailer Brake Controller (FL1Z-2C006-D), Activated with forscan.
IPC 720-07-01 xxxx x8xx xxxx
IPC 720-04-01 xx4x xxxx xxxx

It looks like I changed the fields with a 4 and a 8. You will have to dig deeper in the forscan areas here becaues I don't remember where in Forscan I made those changes, but I do know that my Brake Controller has been working since 2019. :D

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ECU (IPC) data in my 2017 with factory installed HD Tow (which included the brake controller):

IPC 720-07-01 0001 8800 00B8
IPC 720-04-01 0042 0002 0070

The source for the Module Build Data (As-Built) seems to be dead but I'll bet someone has the new, correct link. Just needs your VIN: https://motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/Details

-- Chuck

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I use with Forscan. Clicked the link and Amazon says I "last purchased September 3, 2017."

I didn't need to mess with the brake controller but you can compare my factory settings to yours. I'd only change the single digit on the two lines noted by Cyclone.

I purchased this to turn the fog lights into DRLs during the day and to stay on with the high beams at night (Bambi mode). Later added more lane change flashes, engine hours display on the instrument panel, suppress the headlights On icon since they come on automatically at night and the smaller fog light icon lights, etc.

Just be careful and triple check the data.

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65