Installing Fuel Tank Skid Plate (Off-Road Package) on 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installing Fuel Tank Skid Plate (Off-Road Package) on 2003

I picked up the components for the Off-Road package from the NBX Expedition. All the components are Ford OEM.

I need some advice/help on installing the fuel tank skid plate.

First off, the fuel tank skid plate is attached to the fuel tank brackets. On the stock 4x4 (non-off road package) the fuel tank brackets do not have the attachements for the skid plates (as the off-road 4x4 does).

I have the necessary fuel tank brackets (Ford OEM).

The dealer wants $300 in labor charges to replace the stock fuel tank brackets for the correct ones to attach the skid plate. (No thanks).

I originally tried to tackle it myself and found out that you cannot remove the brackets without disconnecting the drive shaft (hence the reason I thought the dealership could do it).

So, I can either

1. Try to get an independent shop to do it. My current local shop quote is $237 (labor only) though they are pricing it as a fuel tank replacement since they don't have it in their books on replacing fuel tank brackets. Also, I'm wondering if they'll properly torque the bolts on the driveshaft. I have no idea what the torque specs are and the Ford Dealership is reluctant to give them to me. (They're excuse is that technicians are using the books and to take the book away from them is taking them away from working on paying customer's vehicles).

2. Attempt to drop the drive shaft myself. The hard part is there is not enough room to get adequate leverage to loosen and remove the bolts holding the driveshaft together.

Can anyone help?

2000expy

Reaction score
Well obviously there have been changes, but I got a neighbor to help me. We had to hold the tank up after removing the thin tank brackets. The skid plate had its own brackets that bolt right up to the chassis studs.