Intake Manifold Removed....Now What? (2014 EL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
In this case, I might replace the pulleys and tensioner. I've had those fail on the road before. They can seize unexpectedly.

My problem with replacing stuff proactively is that often replacement parts are of poor or dubious quality. I've rebuilt transmissions and found the rebuild kits had bearings marked "CHINA" whereas the fifty-year-old originals were American-made and in fine condition.

Which ones do you think I tossed?

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just replaced my tensioner and idler pulleys and waterpump with motorcraft units. That's the only thing I would have used. They are readily available and not terribly more expensive over the crap generic parts.

Have to trust you on the transmission rebuild components. Have never been there myself!

The way I look at preventive maintenance is I don't have car payments on these older vehicles... so if I stick a few hundred bucks and hours of my time performing preventive maintenance, so what. I feel better about driving them long distances

TLMFL

Reaction score
2014 EL
5.4 3v
Mileage: 150,000

Coolant weeping into #5 plug cavity from crossover pipe causing engine miss. I removed the intake manifold and crossover pipe and saw plastic gasket deterioration at thermostat side of crossover pipe.

Question: What else should I consider replacing while the manifold is out? Water pump? Detonation sensors? I ordered new Ford coils.

Thanks

View attachment 39220

View attachment 39221

TLMFL

Reaction score
I just had a chance to look at your photos.
I would replace anything that looks broken. Make sure you add new seals, Check your spark plugs and your fuel injectors.
Prevented maintenance is the best thing that, leaking coolant can cause you more problems down the road. I've been there and done that already. Good Luck

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
count money.gif
OMFG Dude... one thread you're all "replace them all with OEM", this one you're like "WTF is wrong with you?" Just ignore anything 07navi says, it's just enough troll to piss off anybody who bothers to listen.
I just hate it when people throw parts at cars for no reason, of course I was kidding about replacing everything. Not a troll, just trying to help people,

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The water pump and cooling system are stupid easy to get to on these things, even with everything in there. At this point if its not giving you issues and you know you have had a proper and fresh 50/50 coolant in the system I would leave it be. I replaced my water pump and all hoses in my 09 with 180k on the clock. The water pump looked and felt great still but were are not the original owners so I didn't trust the maintenance.

I would replace the heater hoses in the engine bay and the radiator cap though. The Hoses are the weakest links, and the radiator caps never last, I like the ones with the red safety lever that allows me to bleed the pressure off safely.

I would spin every idler pulley and if any of them are super easy to spin or sound even the slightest bit dry I would replace it.

TLMFL

Reaction score
I just had a chance to look at your photos.
I would replace anything that looks broken. Make sure you add new seals, Check your spark plugs and your fuel injectors.
Prevented maintenance is the best thing that, leaking coolant can cause you more problems down the road. I've been there and done that already. Good Luck

TLMFL

Reaction score
Photo 33291 should be replaced
JB weld wont hold well enough to prevent coolant leak, oil leaks or even gass leaks so if its broken replace it.
Next I would blow all the liquid out of the open holes and place clean shop rags in all those open holes and clean the surgaces surrounding them, you want smooth clean surfaces when you replace your valve covers and intake manifold. Go ahead and add a new thermostat, hoses, radiator cap and I had to replace some of me hose clamps cause they didn't tighten up enough. My 2000 was a pre owned by 2 before me and wasn't treated well.

Hulkster

Reaction score
Honestly sometimes I really think doing a job once is a thing. Timing job...will you just replace the pump or all components around it so as not to do this job again...common sense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65