Is remote start factory equipped but not necessarily enabled on all Gen 3 or 2011?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sorry to start another thread on remote start but I hate to hijack a thread that's related. It gets complicated for those trying to follow the OP's original question and discussion.

I have a 2011 EL Ltd. No remote start indicated on the key fobs. My wife would love to have it given the looks I get when I start my truck in the morning. in fact, I'm the one who goes out and starts her vehicle in the morning...

I'm interested in the app-controlled method that I saw in another thread (maybe Evo-All brand) but I think the user spent maybe $400 or so on the remote-start equipment and the app, not sure.

I'm interested in controlling some of the controls in the vehicle if possible, but it's not necessary (heat/cool seats, heat/cool temp, fan speed, GPS) which comes with the app, but again, not necessary. The only thing I see the need for there is we turn the heated seats off after awhile and possibly turn down the heat after awhile, so if the remote start starts the vehicle in the morning, some of those options won't be set for a cold morning b/c it was driven previously in warmer conditions. I live in NC and the temp could be 50s/60s in the afternoon with a low of freezing in the morning.

I'm more interested in the less-expensive option which seemed to be simply enabling it with Forscan.

Is this all it takes? Enabling what the vehicle is already equipped with? Or must I do some aftermarket work?

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2011 el ltd? Is that a limited, if so I cant believe there was no factory remote start.

I suggest if you have Forscan, hook it up and see if you have the option to enable the remote start using the plain english. If the option is there then I'd say the remote start module is factory installed.

If not there is another plug and play remote start that uses the original key fobs, for around $150. The high dollar app remote start also charges per year for it to work.

Sent from my Garage using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a Limited. I do not have Forscan yet but have it in my shopping cart at Amazon to try.

Also, I think I saw a video where there was some button or harness above the pedals/under the dash that was part of that system. I'll look up that video and see what that was talking about.

I don't pay for ANY apps and I sure don't want to pay big bucks to keep a car-start app running.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Forscan is downloadable software. You need to register it so you can make changes. Only works with real PCs, not apples. I'm guessing you have a ODB2 interface in your Amazon cart. I strongly prefer a physical cable connection to that port rather than Blutooth or whatever.

-- Chuck

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to research it a bit. On my model year Ford sells the “Remote Start Kit” but it includes a module of some sort, a harness, and a separate fob. Hence forscan wouldn’t do much. Could be different for 2011. Being a plebeian with an XLT I go out and warm it up....

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a Limited. I do not have Forscan yet but have it in my shopping cart at Amazon to try.

Also, I think I saw a video where there was some button or harness above the pedals/under the dash that was part of that system. I'll look up that video and see what that was talking about.

I don't pay for ANY apps and I sure don't want to pay big bucks to keep a car-start app running.

For some reason I don't see the 2011 listed on the web site, that sales the h/wired kits. It may be worth emailing them to check if they have it for your Expy https://shop.mypushcart.com/

And yeah dont pay for forscan, it's a fee app! You just have to join the forum and then get the extended license key. Also Chucks said pc only not apples? What he probably meant to say is you need a windows operating system. I use my mac book pro running windows 10 on a separate partition. Here's a link to the forscan forum with the info on extended license key.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

And this is a link to the obd2 adapter I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/VINT-TT55502-ELM327-modified-ELMconfig-FOCCCUS/dp/B01N18TOFB

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have a ODB2 interface in your Amazon cart. I strongly prefer a physical cable connection to that port rather than Blutooth or whatever.-- Chuck

My mistake, Chuck. Thanks. I have an ODB2 interface (actually being watched in ebay, not carted in Amazon).
https://ebay.to/2BFiwI3

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow that's a pricy one, and from China? Time you receive it spring will be around the corner, lol.

I guess I clicked "watch" so that I could read more about it. Good point. I usually do some more research before purchasing. Hence this thread. :)

Also, I'd like to do this before Christmas for my wife. This Christmas. So, good call on the China thing.

By the way, a lot of the auctions say "modified for Ford". The word "modified" does not sound good to me.

If you have a suggested brand/model, I'd love to know. Thanks.