Is this engine sound normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hulkinator

Reaction score
Started noticing this mechanical “scraping” sound this summer and dealer found no issues during recent 10k service. Said it was noise from the direct injectors. Though I put a camera in the hood recently and found where the sound is coming from. It appears to be from a small motor actuating some valve attached to the driver side exhaust? I cannot find the part on a search of ecoboost engine diagrams.

Any help appreciated.

Video of the sound:

Attachments

• IMG_5422.jpeg
    IMG_5422.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 32

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s the turbo wastegate doing a pre test. Sounds a bit on the loud side of normal but don’t think that will give you a problem.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Indeed the wastegate adjustments noise. Normal

These engines make alot of different types of noises though. One moment they will be quite, the next it will have valvetrain noise that is louder etc.

OP
OP
Hulkinator

Hulkinator

Reaction score
Thank you! I previously searched turbo wastegate images for a 3.5 EB and they looked different so I wasn’t confident that was what it was. Are there just multiple wastegates for the turbos? I’m not yet very familiar with the ecoboost engine, but trying to catch up quick.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem. The Gen 2 3.5 Ecoboost version which is what the 2018 and up Expeditions have use electronically controlled wastegates so they can activate anytime. It’s a bit more of a surprise noise once it a while but it does what you have in the video to test and adjust itself. Each turbo has one. The older trucks had a large vacuum can in the turbos which was good too but slower to actuate since they had to control the vacuum to it to actuate.