Jammed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnovalles73

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their rear hatch get....stuck on them? I've never been hit, never had an issue with it and it's always worked FINE for me but out of nowhere, a week ago, it decided to....not open anymore. I can open the rear window just fine but NEED to know how I can remedy the hatch issue cause I use it a LOT!:Violin:

HELP!!!!!:bawl:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something in the lock broke the last time you closed it. You might try seeing if you can get the inside trim panel off and look in there and see what's going on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WECole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will want to go to www.fordparts.com and select your model, then look under Category->BODY, Subcategory->TAILGATE and then on "Liftgate" (should be first item on parts list) click the link "View Image". This will show you the entire assembly, including Ford part#'s.

You might also want to look at
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/1ihok-1998-ford-expedition-rear-lift-gate-will-not-open-either.html

It's not exactly the same issue, but it's close and it has diagrams of some of the inner workings of your liftgate. In your case, it sounds like either the door handle or the latch itself have failed, not the lock actuator like in the link above (if it were the actuator, I don't think you'd be able to unlock the window).

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the inside of the door connected to the handle are 2 cables. One goes to the glass latch and one goes to the door latch. The ends of the cables have a plastic casing that sits in a metal bracket on the latch. The plastic deteriorates and brakes away from the cable causing the cable assembly to slide instead of actually pulling the latch. You can buy just the cable and its a relatively easy fix. I had to do this on a '97 and my '98. If you get in the back of the truck you will be able to pull the door trim panel off after you remove the inside pull handle screw. Once you get the trim panel off you can see the latch mechanism and pop it open with a screw driver, its easier to work on open. The part number for the cable (at least for the '97-'98) is F2UZ-15264A65-B. I would recommend doing both cables while your in there, if they are not both broken the other one is not far behind. If you do both you will need to order 2 of the part number above.