Key off to power off delay.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what the official name for this function is, but when I turn the key off the accessories still retain power for a few minutes.

Windows operate, and other electrical accessories operate until either the delay runs out (about 10 minutes) or a door is opened.

On my 97, all accessories function for this period, other than the stereo. As soon as I turn the key to off, the radio looses power while other device (like the windows) retain power. On my newer (2008) Mustang the stereo also functions during this period.

Is this behaviour normal on my truck, or is there something wacky going on with the stereo that is preventing from working during this 'grace' period?

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming they kept the same logic, my stock 99 radio has three power feeds. One is "hot in acc or run", another "hot in start" and the third "hot at all times". Might be simple as a blown fuse.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is normal...i can take my keys out and do the same...stereo...windows...but once u open the door it all cuts off..i think its a safety feature in case someone is kidnapped they can still get out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE